Logitech Z-2300
Aug 5, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #31 of 51
I've thought about it and I think I might just go with computer speakers despite the sound performance decrease. I really don't know much about all this and it's easily possible that I would get stuck with a system that would be worse than a computer speaker system. Not to mention there would be much less of a hassle. So if I were to spend around 100 dollars, would the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 be my best bet? And what would be best for me if I increased my budget to lets say 200, 250, or 300?

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by boo54577 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So if I were to spend around 100 dollars, would the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 be my best bet? And what would be best for me if I increased my budget to lets say 200, 250, or 300?

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1, Swans M200... Not much else to recommend in terms of current new computer speakers.

If you'd like to spend even less, look for a used set of Boston Acoustics computer speakers on eBay. Some models to watch: Media Theater, Digital Media Theater, BA7800, and BA7900 (2.1, 2.1, 4.1 and 5.1 channels respectively). There's a listing with a guy selling multiple refurbished BA7800s for $80 shipped here. I can't vouch for the seller, but that's a decent deal. Another seller has BA7900s for $110 shipped here.

If I needed a set of surround computer speakers, the BA7900 would be my first and only choice. It's been discontinued for several years and originally sold for $240, which was a bargain back then.

Picture from a recent auction:
944b_1.JPG

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #34 of 51
Swans a step up and are basically lower wattage (sort of) bookself types that are geared towards high end multimedia without a subwoofer (2.0). A lot of people do end up adding a sub if they feel it is lacking, however. I think the Klipsch 2.1 would be fine if you just want to spend around your original budget and not have any headaches. They are certainly fine for the computer application in that price range. And you can also look into using better speaker wire (though not as easy as just unplugging them and using other ones if i recall correctly...).

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by boo54577 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a big performance difference between the 5.1 and 2.1? And are the swans that much better than the former two?

Are you talking about the Klipsch ProMedias? If so, then no, there's essentially no difference except for the number of channels. The Swans aren't necessarily better, but it will depend on the kind of music you prefer--they'll probably have a more realistic midrange.

Aug 6, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #36 of 51
I listen to mostly alternative I guess, but I also listen to a little bit of metal, and progressive and classic rock. However, I'd like the game sounds to be good as well. But I assume they will be since they are computer speakers.

Aug 7, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easy, get any decent desktop Monitors from E-mu/M-Audio/etc. and buy a sub to compensate for the lowest octave.

How would he connect the subwoofer?

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #39 of 51
He already said that
wink.gif

He's using the onboard audio of his Asus P5B (8-channel).

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He already said that
wink.gif

He's using the onboard audio of his Asus P5B (8-channel).

Oh... And I see that I already replied! I had my threads confused for a minute there and couldn't find an answer by skimming.
biggrin.gif

I guess he could connect a subwoofer to the analog subwoofer output from the onboard audio.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #41 of 51
Alright Well I'm looking at monitors and I found a couple which might be good. Can anyone confirm? The Studiophile DX4s, Studiophile AV 40 (Both for 150), the StudioPro 3, and the Studiophile AV 20 (both a little cheaper).

Would any of these/which of these would be best? Also, where can i get the best deals for subwoofers and how much should I be spending on one considering my price for monitors?

Aug 7, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #44 of 51
So would the monitors I suggested be best? And again, I need suggestions for a subwoofer, as I have no idea where to get one and how much to spend, relative to how much I'm spending on my speakers.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Gamer Forum would praise the Logitech stuff with their arms wide open, as none of them know what real refined music sounds like

Everyone's taste is different, in relating to what is quality, and what is music.

I own the Z-2200's which have larger sat's. The Logitech speakers are very boomy in the 100hz-300hz region. That I fixed but cutting 125hz by 4db, and 250hz by 8db. EQ'ing is not bad if you are cutting. Boosting is a no-no! Once I eq'd them, I preferred the sound of the Logitechs to the type music I listen to way better than (bland/boring/dull) B&W 800's.

Now to the OP, if you can find used or refurbished Z-2200's I'd suggest them over the Z-2300's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back