Logitech Z-2300
Aug 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually the Logitech Z2300 are pretty good speakers in its price range. They can be had for under $100. They handle music and games very well, although a bit boomy for hi-fi'ers' taste. What can u expect tho? You did say COMPUTER speakers...

I don't NEED computer speakers, I just assumed they would be the best option for my computer. But if regular speakers would work better then I'd prefer them. Though people will really need to be specific and tell me exactly what I need for regular speakers and examples of where to get them. Not a demand, just telling you guys that I really don't know anything about all of this. Thanks a lot for all the help so far.

Aug 5, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by boo54577 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't a subwoofer always necessary for speakers?

Look what you've done Logitech! LOOK!

No. A sub is only necessary if you absolutely must hear that last octave at it's full potential and have it shake your house if called for. A sub that is actually capable of such (ie good output of <20Hz) will cost near $1,000 and up. Less if used, but you get the idea.

Since you may be increasing your budget, let me recommend the Athena AS-B1.2 bookshelves. You can get them for $100 and at that price would be your best bet. I've auditioned them and they're very respectable, considering how cheap they are. They will blow any "computer speakers" away.

As for an amp, used is best. Look around audiogon in the solid state integrated section. Ebay is another option. For now look for something stereo with at least 30W per channel. Key words are "receiver" and "integrated amp". The former is the same as the latter except with a built in radio tuner usually.

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

And do I need an amp only for non-computer speakers and not computer-speakers? I'd just like a little clarification in order to help me understand my final choice.

As I said, if the performance would increase that much, I'd consider increasing my budget possibly up to 200 or 250.

No, you don't need an amp for computer speakers because they have a built-in amplifier (usually located in the subwoofer). If you increase your budget to $250, that's in the range of getting an amplifier and non-computer speakers, but no subwoofer.

If you're primarily sitting at your computer and using the speakers for gaming, and your budget is up to $250, consider the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1. It pretty much solves all of your problems without the hassle of finding separate components that, while they might be more upgradeable in the long-term, would leave you with a somewhat unfulfilling listening experience right now, IMO.

As Pibborando said, subwoofers aren't always necessary, but in your case they are providing more than the last octave. I challenge anyone to find a set of speakers for under $100 that reach 50 Hz without roll-off. At this price range, the subwoofer will probably be playing well into the 100 Hz range to compensate for the speakers' shortcomings. Not ideal, but necessary.

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 51
Active monitors could be an option as well. But if you're willing to spend $200-250, I'm sure users can find you something!

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but why do people want their Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphone and Gaming Soundcard? These kits do not come cheap.

are they really that good for gaming or other purposes?

No, but they sound overwhelming (and totally unbalanced) thus people who've only heard integrated audio with a 5 dollar headphone are amazed by the audio (read: "muddy crap"
evil_smiley.gif
) produced by a Razer 5.1 combined with a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer.

I like Creative (look at my sig lol) but that "gamer" BS should stop, luckily Creative also has a "real" brand (E-MU) which btw has nice some nice active speakers, although a bit too expensive (around 250 dollar if i am not mistaking).

btw, the only excuse i accept that someone has a "gamer" headphone is that Beyerdynamic/Stax/AKG/Jecklin Float doesn't have any Mic's integrated.

[EDIT]
BTW2, boo54577 look at infinitesymphony's Signature, something certainly caught my eye there
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #21 of 51
It really depends what you use your speakers for. I have a computer set up with Z-2300s in my college dorm room and I find them to be quite good for gaming/movies as well as parties that require obnoxious bass. They're also fairly small, which is good for a tiny room like mine.

For music listening, I usually turn to my headphones.

Aug 5, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlineng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends what you use your speakers for. I have a computer set up with Z-2300s in my college dorm room and I find them to be quite good for gaming/movies as well as parties that require obnoxious bass. They're also fairly small, which is good for a tiny room like mine.

For music listening, I usually turn to my headphones.

Just my guess, but i dont think he'd asked it here if he only wanted to play games.

Could be wrong though.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #23 of 51
Well as I said, I'm certainly going to be using these speakers for music, and I listen to plenty of it. I've thought about it a little bit and I'll raise my budget to 250-300. At this price, should I still be going with the amp+speaker option, or would computer speakers be good? Can people just give me suggestions for this price range? Thanks.

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just my guess, but i dont think he'd asked it here if he only wanted to play games.

Could be wrong though.

No you're right. I'd like to use these speakers for music. I don't really wanna use my headphones for music just because of the annoyance and isolation. So I really would like speakers that can handle music and games.

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #25 of 51
Are there any Vintage audio dealers in your neighbourhood? There's always something of interest there, most of the Amps' will go under 100 Dollar which leaves you with 150 - 200 dollar of speaker (and cable) money. Within that range you have one hell of a nice budget rig.

You could try posting here for sub 200 dollar speakers LINKY ! .

I really would like to help you but i live FAR away from USA and i don't know what's 'hot or not' over there.

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

I'm using an integrated card. Will that make the sound a whole lot worse? In the end, I don't absolutely NEED amazing sound quality, I would just like a good sound system which will let me enjoy music and games.

Here's the link to my motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131030

To spare you a long and detailed explanation, yes. While I certainly feel that upgrading your speakers/headphones is a great way to make the best of what you've got, there are certainly MUCH better options out there. My personal favorite(s) are the Sound Blaster Live! or the Chaintech AV-710. Both are very good card, and cost very little dough. The Live! is great if you can find one for free somewhere or salvage it, but if you were going to buy one the AV710 is the much better option. It has great potential for adding a DAC later.
biggrin.gif

As for your speakers, the Z-2300s are not bad as computer speakers go. I feel the the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 has a slight edge on them in treble and midrange, but bass is pretty even in both sets. However, I think a vintage setup is your best option. If you hit it right in a local thrift store or on Audiogon, you can get yourself a great starter system for very little money. Some great names to watch for in vintage amps/recievers are Sansui, Kenwood, Mcintosh, Yamaha, Technics, Marantz, certain Hitatchi's, Pioneer, certain Fishers, and certain Sony's. there are many more, but that should get you looking.
biggrin.gif
Many of the same brands also had great speakers, but also look for Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, KEF, KLH, ADS, Altec, Advent, Infinity, and even some older Bose.

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound Blaster Live!

The SB Live! is old (released August 1998) and still suffers from the 48 kHz resampling problem, though there are some driver hack workarounds for that.

boo54577, I checked out your motherboard and unfortunately the onboard sound does not adhere to the new Intel HD Audio specification. Instead, it uses the old and much-inferior AC'97 spec. So, even a cheap card like the AV-710 would be an improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back