Logitech Z-2300
Aug 4, 2007 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

boo54577

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
So I need to get a speaker system for my computer. I'm looking to spend around 100 dollars and so far the z-2300 seems to be my best bet. Would you guys agree?

On my computer I play a lot of games like counter strike, warcraft 3, farcry, diablo 2 and so on. I also listen to alternative, metal, progressive rock and so on. Thanks.

Aug 4, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 51
How's your music/game ratio, as a sub will kill the Fi as in Hi-Fi. And do you have a Real listening Rig.

Sub's are great for movies and games, but when it comes to music the balance is gone. And EQ'ing it "balanced" is just as bad imo.

You should rather look for some second hand cheap amplifier + speakers, i am quite sure you'll get more fidelity then 'computer speakers for the masses'.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #3 of 51
Really? Well can anyone suggest the best option for me? Cause I really don't know what to look for? Or is there another forum that specializes more in speakers cause I know this forum focuses more on headphones and such.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #4 of 51
logitech = too boomy, i think you're on the wrong site for your needs, try a gamer forum

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 51
That Gamer Forum would praise the Logitech stuff with their arms wide open, as none of them know what real refined music sounds like, they probably think the Z-5500 is GOD and that the Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphone is the best HP IN THE WORLD or other BS crap.

The OP asked the best option, and within his price range the only option is used HiFi or DIY.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP asked the best option, and within his price range the only option is used HiFi or DIY.

I don't really understand what you mean by that. I'm really new to all this so I really don't know much.

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by boo54577 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really understand what you mean by that. I'm really new to all this so I really don't know much.

That for the best results within your budget you can either search around looking in various second hand shops for a nice deal or that you build your own speakers and amplifier. And probably the last one isn't an option either, because it would need some skills and with 100 dollar you wont get an amp. (speakers are possible i guess)

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

That Gamer Forum would praise the Logitech stuff with their arms wide open, as none of them know what real refined music sounds like, they probably think the Z-5500 is GOD and that the Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphone is the best HP IN THE WORLD or other BS crap.

True, people on Gaming sites have really limited knowledge on this stuff. All they can recommend (with religious fervor) are "gaming" marketed stuff like Siberias, Steelsounds, and those Razer Barracudas which are crap to begin with.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

yeah.. Razer is a big player in gaming assistances..... i can understand why people are after the high end of mouse, keyboard and mouse pad.

but why do people want their Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphone and Gaming Soundcard? These kits do not come cheap.

are they really that good for gaming or other purposes?

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Alright I guess I'd be willing to increase my budget. Anyone have suggestions now?

I dont really know much about the speakers... but for amp... you can consider Little Dot... Price starts around $120 + Shipping

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 51
Quote:

Alright I guess I'd be willing to increase my budget. Anyone have suggestions now?

Go into depth about your uses as others have mentioned. I have the previous generation of Logitechs that i happened to pick up very cheap (about $50). But for $100 they aren't really worth for someone who likes HiFi sort of sound (music oriented). I mainly used them for movies. They are okay for music, but not anything you'd listen to like we do headphones. Specify what you really want them for. Of course if you raised your budget you could definitely get a cheap receiver and a set of speakers that would be more applicable to music listening
580smile.gif

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 51
5.1 for $100 will be difficult. 2.1, much easier (ex. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax
How's your music/game ratio, as a sub will kill the Fi as in Hi-Fi. And do you have a Real listening Rig.

Sub's are great for movies and games, but when it comes to music the balance is gone. And EQ'ing it "balanced" is just as bad imo.

You should rather look for some second hand cheap amplifier + speakers, i am quite sure you'll get more fidelity then 'computer speakers for the masses'.

Well... $100 used for both an amplifier and speakers could actually end up sounding worse than computer speakers. In these inexpensive .1 computer speaker systems, the subwoofer is filling in for the missing low end of the main speakers or satellites. Given the music the OP listed, he'd be missing a big part without the subwoofer. Full-range 2.0 music systems certainly sound amazing, but for his budget, the sub is a necessity.

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #14 of 51
Actually the Logitech Z2300 are pretty good speakers in its price range. They can be had for under $100. They handle music and games very well, although a bit boomy for hi-fi'ers' taste. What can u expect tho? You did say COMPUTER speakers...

Aug 5, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5.1 for $100 will be difficult. 2.1, much easier (ex. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1).

Well... $100 used for both an amplifier and speakers could actually end up sounding worse than computer speakers. In these inexpensive .1 computer speaker systems, the subwoofer is filling in for the missing low end of the main speakers or satellites. Given the music the OP listed, he'd be missing a big part without the subwoofer. Full-range 2.0 music systems certainly sound amazing, but for his budget, the sub is a necessity.

So should I get a computer speaker system then? As I said, I would be willing to increase my budget if it makes a big performance increase. I'm really new to this though so I have no idea what I would need for a non-computer speaker system. Isn't a subwoofer always necessary for speakers? And do I need an amp only for non-computer speakers and not computer-speakers? I'd just like a little clarification in order to help me understand my final choice.

As I said, if the performance would increase that much, I'd consider increasing my budget possibly up to 200 or 250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back