Logitech Z-2300 : The Last of the Titans
Feb 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #92 of 103

Quote:
Quote:
I may still go that route as Parts Express has some inexpensive receivers that would work well with my DAC.  As you mentioned, this would give me great sound and probably cost less than multimedia systems such as the Edifiers or Swans mentioned above.  The downside would be more space taken up on my desktop for the sake of sound quality!

Thanks again.

I avoid Dayton audio products. They quality of engineering & craftsmanship is not upto the mark. They normally recall a lot of their products. Look below at their latest recall:

Quote:
Consumer Product Safety Alert

At Parts Express, our efforts are continuous and on-going to ensure that the products we sell are not only an excellent value, but are also safe and reliable. As a result of those efforts, we have identified the following models to contain amplifier modules that have the potential to produce extreme heat, smoke, or fire:

Dayton SUB-100 HT Series 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer (SKU # 300-633 & 888-632)
Dayton SUB-120 HT Series 12" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer (SKU # 300-635 & 888-634)
Dayton Audio Speaker Bar and 10" Subwoofer Package (SKU # 300-637)
Dayton Audio Speaker Bar and Subwoofer Package (SKU # 300-638)
Dayton HTP-2 5.1 Home Theater Package 10" Powered Subwoofer (SKU # 300-694)
Dayton HTP-3 5.1 Home Theater Package 12" Powered Subwoofer (SKU # 300-696)
Replacement Sub Amp (SKU # 000-RET1)

While the quality issue is known to have affected less than 0.5% of our total units purchased between June 30, 2010 and January 15, 2011, we believe units with serial #'s 0608010101 thru 0608010500 require an upgrade. If you possess an amplifier purchased in this time frame, immediately unplug the unit to eliminate any risk of danger, regardless of whether you notice any problems with the unit or not. If you purchased this unit for resell, please contact your customer to have the unit's serial # checked. To check the serial # of your unit, view HT100-120 Amplifier Removal Procedure

We have identified an over-heating issue in the amplifier module of the sub. This heating issue can occur at any time that the amplifier is plugged into a wall outlet, whether it is actually in use or not. Problem over-heating of the amplifier is usually accompanied by a very noticeable "hum" coming from the subwoofer's speaker. If left powered, it is possible for the metal "plate" and heat sink (cooling fins) of the amplifier to become hot enough to cause a minor burn to the skin, and in extreme cases, the possibility of the unit to produce smoke or fire.

The resolution requires an upgrade of 2 transistors, performed by a qualified technician, inside the amplifier module of the subwoofer. If your serial # is within the range noted above, it will require the upgrade.

If your amplifier serial # is within the range noted above, call us immediately. Within one business day we will ship an upgraded amplifier module directly to you at no charge along with a postage-paid return label. After you receive and replace the amplifier module, please put the old amplifier module in the box in which the replacement module was shipped, attach the provided return shipping label to the box, and hand it to any Fed Ex driver or drop it off at any Fed Ex Kinko’s shipping location. Plus, as a courtesy, we will automatically extend the modified amplifier warranty for an additional 1 year.

Here is how to find the serial number: http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/HT100-120_Amplifier_Procedure.pdf

It proves Dayton does not have the necessary simulation & test gear to test their products for extreme conditions. The question remains that if the quality of craftsmanship is so poor, how do you expect them to have good sound quality?

No, it shows that they have the guts to do a recall when they do find a problem.  Like Toyota. 

Many companies are highly reluctant or will not do a recall because of the potential bad publicity it engenders.

Oh, and it also shows your lack of understanding of the difficulties of engineering and manufacturing complex products, especially for small niche-market firms.  Look at the HE-5, for example.

And what quality of craftsmanship do you expect at their prices?  Seriously, find a better built and better sounding new amplifier and set of speakers for under $60...  Oh, not to mention the amp is dual voltage, comes with a Europlug adapter and can run off of 8 AA batteries, on top of sounding as good as any other solid state amp many times its price...

Or need I remind you of Logitech's own recalls... Here's a few I uncovered after about thirty seconds...

Logitech™ R-20 2.1 Speakers
Date: 26/06/2008
Supplier Name: Australia Post
Product Info: Logitech™ R-20 2.1 Speakers are a three piece unit consisting of two satellite speakers, one subwoofer and an electrical adaptor. The speakers plug and play on PC's, CD and MP3 players and comes with volume control and headphone jack. The total RMS power is 12 watts RMS with a total peak power of 20 watts. The product retails with a catalogue price of $29. The product was advertised on page 6 of the Australia Post April 'Everyday Options' and June 'World Famous Brands' catalogues and has been in stores since week commencing 22 March 2008.
Defect Details: The speakers may be faulty and there may be a risk of fire when the speakers are in use.
Consumer action: Any consumer who has purchased the Logitech™ R-20 2.1 Speakers from Australia Post or received the product as a gift should not use the product. Any Logitech™ R-20 2.1 Speakers purchased at an Australia Post retail outlet or received as a gift should be returned to any Australia Post outlet and a full refund will be provided. Further information is available from 13 13 18
Market Coverage: National
Recall Coverage: National
Logitech™ R-20 2.1 Speakers

Shocking Logitech power adapter recalled

By Grant Shepherd
SYDNEY: Logitech Australia Computer Peripherals has issued a product recall for a power adapter on one of its iPod and iPhone alarm clocks due to a risk of electric shock.
According to the official product recall document, the recall is for the Logitech Pure-Fi AnytimeTM alarm clock iPod/iPhone sold between 1 August 2009 and 10 November 2009 at Big W, JB Hi-Fi, Harvey Norman and The Good Guys.
The identifying products also have date codes of 0924, 0926, 0928, 0928 and 0932.
The reason for the recall is that the plastic housing of the power adapter may come loose and expose the internal circuits. This may in turn pose a risk of electric shock for consumers.
If you purchased this product and the date code matches one shown above, then you have to immediately stop using the product and contact Logitech customer support on 1800 025 544 for a replacement.

Follow Current.com.au on Twitter, Click Here
[Thu 10/12/2009 10:19:40]

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #93 of 103

Quote:
Thanks for posting that information.  I will probably scratch them off of my list as I continue hunting...

You are most welcome. Within $120 dollars I will give the advice to stick between Z-2300 & Klipsch Promedia. 

For mids & highs --> Promedia

For lows --> Z-2300

Remember, this mids, highs & lows preference have nothing to do with "sound quality". Recently I floated a topic regarding "sound quality" in HardForums. Take a look:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1582316

Only the true learned ones were able to provide their views regarding this ultra complex & sensitive topic. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #94 of 103

Quote:

For lows --> Z-2300

Z-2300 sub woofer is quite good, unfortunately there is no option available on the sub-woofer to use it with other brand of speakers, that is there is no rotating switch on the Z-2300 to adjust the low pass frequency.
The sound from the  Z-2300 2 way speakers is veiled, I think it is because of the internal electronics.

My Z-2300 is left unused. I asked for a circuit diagram from the manufacturer to do some design alterations they refused to give to me. Do you have the circuit diagram?

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #95 of 103
Hi all,

I bought two z2300 systems 3 o 4 years ago. It soudn very nice but with the time all the satellites blew up so I'm looking for a good replacement because the subwoofer and the amp still works!

I have some candidates but these speaker worth it for the z2300 system?

Mordaunt-short Aviano 1
http://www.mordauntshort.com/summary.php?PID=77

KEF C1
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/hi-fi_series/c_series/fact_sheet/bookshelf/c1/index.html

Thank you in advance,

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #96 of 103
Does anyone know if you can use 6 ohm speakers with the Z-2300 amplifier?

I'm thinking of hooking up some bookshelves to replace the satellites on my z-2300. I know 8ohm speakers work fine, but what about 6 ohm, anyone have any experience?

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #97 of 103

Quote:
Does anyone know if you can use 6 ohm speakers with the Z-2300 amplifier?

I'm thinking of hooking up some bookshelves to replace the satellites on my z-2300. I know 8ohm speakers work fine, but what about 6 ohm, anyone have any experience?

Measure the D.C. resistance of the speaker with an ohm meter, If it reads 5-6 ohm range it is likely safe as that is what most 8ohm rated speakers will measure. if they measure below 5 ohms I would question the ability to drive it safely especially if playing high volume. Probably ok at low to medium volume but not high volume.

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #99 of 103
Hi, I have been digging around for a while  now. I'm considering getting a speakers for my pc. I have 3 candidates so far, z2300 (AU$172), A2(AU$229) and Corsair sp2500(AU$250). I was given the impression that z2300 is very good bang for the buck, but from what i ve heard that the vocals are bit muffled on z2300 compare to the other 2 candidate.

Since i will be using the speakers for musics, watching movies and TV shows most of the time, so i figure clarity on the vocal may be important. Therefore i really want to know, given my requirements, what would you guys recommend.

Cheers

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #100 of 103
Not to thread necro, but personally, I profoundly dislike the Z-2300's, but have never heard your other 2 options. Given my experiences, I'd say go with anything except the z-2300's.

I wholeheartedly agree with the earlier reviewer who called the z-2300's 'fart cannons.' To my unsophisticated ears, they have flabby, inaccurate bass, and veiled mids and highs. Music sounds like it's being farted by a fat man into a half full bathub.

I listen to these Logitechs and the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's almost daily (my wife has the Promedias), and to my ears the ProMedia's are vastly superior. They lack the over-powered sub, but at least I can discern mids and highs. I've regretted buying the z-2300 pretty much since the first day I received them, but it was too expensive to ship them back to the vendor.

For reference, I mostly listen to music and games on Sennheiser HD580's.

Just my $0.02.

Jul 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #101 of 103
Rishiguru is full of ass

He has been copy 'n pasting the same god damn review over on his blog,  hi-fi forums, headphone forums, even LOGITECH's SUPPORT FORUM!!!...

I think this guy is either trolling, or making his own 1cent in depth reviews to make other people like his now discontinued speakers.... Even possibly he might be trying to mislead buyer to buy the muddy Z-2300... Heck he might be trying to sell his Z-2300 second hand waiting to suckers who are suckered into unreliable reviews and meaningless THX-certification....

Easy Rishguru,

I have a pair of Denon D5000s, AKG Q701s, K702s, K271 mkIIs. Are any of my headphones THX-certified or Dolby Headphones-Certified???!??!?

ANSWER is NO!!!

But sound quality is miles ahead of those Dolby-Certified high quality premium Turtle Beaches...

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #102 of 103
Quote:
Rishiguru is full of ass

He has been copy 'n pasting the same god damn review over on his blog,  hi-fi forums, headphone forums, even LOGITECH's SUPPORT FORUM!!!...

I think this guy is either trolling, or making his own 1cent in depth reviews to make other people like his now discontinued speakers.... Even possibly he might be trying to mislead buyer to buy the muddy Z-2300... Heck he might be trying to sell his Z-2300 second hand waiting to suckers who are suckered into unreliable reviews and meaningless THX-certification....

Easy Rishguru,

I have a pair of Denon D5000s, AKG Q701s, K702s, K271 mkIIs. Are any of my headphones THX-certified or Dolby Headphones-Certified???!??!?

ANSWER is NO!!!

But sound quality is miles ahead of those Dolby-Certified high quality premium Turtle Beaches...

Yeah I agree with this post. I just bought the Z623 after short-listening tests in-store. All the desktop / ipod dock speakers I listened to sounded very hi-fi, from terrible to tolerable. What in the world is going on with the Monster Beats by Dr Dre beatbox? They should have just built it into a U shape because that's exactly the sound it puts out. The Z623 were the least bad and when I got them home, they were average but they come alive after feeding them with an amped signal.  They are not the smoothest sounding but hey for a desktop 2.1 system so cheap it's pretty good back for buck and they fulfil the purpose of decent sound when playing video games and a bit of non-serious incidental music here and there.

Oct 11, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #103 of 103
First things first I want to work those speakers with DC power straight from a adapter. In order to work logitech speakers with DC, usually one has to stick the dc poles right after the rectifier. But what happens in this case where the system needs 2x 26.4V?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back