Logitech Z-10, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 or other 2.0 speakers?
Jul 14, 2007 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
These seem pretty interesting, has anyone heard either or both? Which one you like the best? Any other recommendation?

Thanks
580smile.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Interesting . . . the Promedia Ultra 2.0 appears to use a brand new speaker design, while the Promedia Ultra 5.1 seems to use the older Promedia speaker design, which most considered to be much better!

I don't know how the Klipsh compares to the Logitech, but unless Logitech has comes miles in the last couple of years the Promedia is gaurenteed to be better.

At least these Klisph speakers. The older Promedia speakers sound miles better then the new Promedia Ultra. I am guessing Klipsch might agree since it looks like they're using the older design in their 5.1 system. I'm really curious when they changed, I know they used to use the newer design in their entire line!

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 9
I've always enjoyed a pair of bookshelf speakers powered by an inexpensive receiver or integrated amp rather than "computer speakers". I think your budget would easily cover a pair of Athena, Polk, etc... and a lower-end receiver.

For gaming, though, maybe the Logitech and Klipsh would be better, but I am more of an "iTunes playing in the background while I work" kinda computer user.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 9
I'm going to use these for music and movie watching in a dorm, so I'd prefer a self power, small set of desktop speakers. I have bookshelf speakers + amp at home.
wink.gif

Anyway, thus far it seems that the only options are Creative Gigaworks T20, Klipsch Promedia Ultra 2.0 and the Logitech Z-10.

Thanks for the feedback.
580smile.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 9
I just bought the refurbished 2.0 Ultra's from Klipsch's clearance section last night, quite a steal at $50. They should be here early next week, I'll be sure to share my opinions on them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 9
For a dorm room, the Logitec Z10 is an excellent choice. I purchased them for my girlfriend to use at her office where a sub and high volume is out of the question. For low volume, no sub, music playback, these are hard to beat for the price. There is a dedicated headphone out, and a MP3 input. My girlfriend uses the MP3 input at the office, and loves it. If I were going back to college (graduated in 68
eek.gif
), this is the speaker set I would take with me. Anything more will cause roomate/dorm issues. Be respectfull of other students trying to study-- they should always have the priority
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Are you sure that a sub is out of the question? Even when I lived in the dorms, I took mine along. Satellites just can't flesh out the lower end of the spectrum.

So... Klipsch ProMedia 2.1.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 9
I've heard all three. I like the T20 followed by the Ultra 2.0 followed by the Altec MX5020 followed by the Z10

The Ultra 2.0 I would NOT recommend because I had mine go dead on me in one channel, and it seems other people have reported reliability problems

Jul 17, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard all three. I like the T20 followed by the Ultra 2.0 followed by the Altec MX5020 followed by the Z10

The Ultra 2.0 I would NOT recommend because I had mine go dead on me in one channel, and it seems other people have reported reliability problems

Wow, never thought the Z-10 would be the worst of the bunch. They're certainly the ugliest, but given their price I thought they would be the best.

I've had Klipsch Promedia 2.1 before. Never liked them, they gave me a headache everytime, them screechy highs. Plus I don't think the sub and sattelites interact too well. Also, the left speaker died.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm leaning towards the T20 now. They pretty good looking, too.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back