Logitech MX510 Gaming Mouse
Apr 14, 2004 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

wallijonn

Throwin' tantra.
Sharkeyextreme has done a review of the new MX510. They can presently be obtained only at BestBuy. $50. It has a greater throughput than the MX700; but the MX510 is corded whereas the MX700 is cordless.

I had this mouse problem with W2000 where my IntelliMouse just wasn't tracking well enough. It worked okay with W98SE and WXP - but Intellimouse 4.02 just wouldn't install on W2000; 3.12 seemed to be the problem.

So it was either the MX510 or the Razer Viper. The Viper is USB only, whereas the MX510 is USB & PS/2. Why do I need PS/2? Because of Linux. Just in case.

Red Hat Fedora can use the USB mouse; so long as you delete the PS/2 when the hardware change detected screen comes up.

W98SE was the hardest to install; you have to install two pieces of software even after you install the Logitech software.

W2000 was the easiest, as it allows a generic mouse after de-installing the MS software.

WXP was medium; I had to use the Windows key, arrows, tab, arrows, space, return navigation method after removing the MS softare.

It feels like a solid mouse with exemplary pointing and tracking. I no longer have to fight with the mouse pointer under W2000. The buttons take a little getting used to. But what I really like is that there is no lag when 'high acceleration' is set, unlike the MS mouse where I always had to have the acceleration turned off. During games acceleration is automatically turned off.

So, does anyone have a Razer Viper? The on-the-fly sensitivity must be a great feature.

Logitech finally made a mouse that I would buy, and it's a winner; even though I am tempted to take a file to the side where the ring finger rests. I may just build it up by gluing on a piece of rubber.

You guys will probably like the 'window button', whereby it allows you to select whichever web window or open folder is available.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 31
I received my "journalist" sample of this mouse. I have the MX-500 and the MX-700 (I prefer the MX-500).

Initial impressions :-
=============

* Ridiculous color scheme - in a nice way
very_evil_smiley.gif

* Excellent look and feel - just like the older versions
* Far to expensive to persuade me to buy one considering that I bought my MX-500 for $25.00
* Excellent control and they have reduced the weight or shifted the weight balance to the front...gives me a better feel when I am gaming...pushing as opposed to dragging
cool.gif

Overall - minor improvements over the MX-500 and a good time to buy will be when the price drops below the $35.00 radar
600smile.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 31
I've been using the MX510 for a little over a month. Right after I bought it Best Buy had a $10 instant rebate that I had them match, so I ended up getting it for $40.

I use it under 98SE, and it was a bit difficult to install, but once I got it to work, I have been very impressed with it.

I put my hand on every mouse that they had, and the only one that felt a little better was the new MS Wireless Explorer or whatever its called, but since I'm not into wireless, this was my best option.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 31
I use the MX500.

I always liked Logitech mouses more than MS. They just seem more sturdy to me. Great mouse.

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 31
BTW - IIRC, the MX 510 should be available at places other than Best Buy sometime quite soon. I can't remember the exact date, but maybe April or May? Once that happens, I bet it will fall into the $30-$40 range.

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 31
I'm also a happy member of club MX500. Have any of you tried using something like UHMW tape on your mouse? I bought some from this place, and I love it. And with 10' of it, you'll have enough leftover to share with 200 of your closest friends.
tongue.gif

That tape is very slick, and it is a lot more durable than the overpriced crap that is sold specifically for mice. I've had it on two of my mice for about a year, and it is still as good as new.

Apr 14, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #7 of 31
I think mousepads also make a HUGE difference.
I use the Ratpadz GS (no - nothing to do with me
tongue.gif
) mousepad and it really helps my gaming performance...

it makes a HUGE difference...trust me on this...a dedicated high end mousepad like the Ratpadz is the biggest upgrade us MX-500 users can make for cheap.

Try it!! I think you can order it from newegg for $14.00

beats paying $20.00 for some gell filled P.O.S

Apr 14, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 31
I bought the MX510 at best buy two weeks ago. Its the best optical mouse I have every used. On the right type of surface, I notice that the tracking is extremely accurate, almost as accurate as the older mechanical mouse. The older optical mice I have tried usually required more mousing area because of poor tracking.

MX510 is also the first optical mouse that didn't have that funny bug that has the cursor jumping to the upper left hand corner on my computer. Before, I have tried several older logitech and microsoft optical solutions and every single one of them had the problem of teleporting the pointer to the upper left hand corner at random times (wired or wireless too).

The mouse fits my hand pretty well, considering my hands are extremely small. It has two buttons below and above the scroll wheel which can act as the scroll wheel too. I like using those buttons for lengthy scrolling instead of rolling the scroller like a mad man. I wish it had that left and right flip on the mouse wheel like the new microsoft mice have today.

Apr 14, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 31
I bought this as soon as I could from Best Buy and replaced my older Logitech IFeel Mouseman. The one thing I always regretted was moving from ball to optical because of the loss in resolution, though the IFeel is kind of dated now (bout 3 year old mouse). The MX510 is a great mouse, excellent precision and accuracy and it moves across my Everglide pad very well. I used MouseSkatz on my IFeel and I haven't gotten around to finding the stuff to put on the MX510 but for the most part I don't think it'll need it. The only problem I have with the mouse is that it could use another foot on the right hand side of the mouse. When I actively use the mouse it isn't a problem, but when I rest my hand I tend to put my weight on the side without that foot and it tips a little.

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
BTW - IIRC, the MX 510 should be available at places other than Best Buy sometime quite soon. I can't remember the exact date, but maybe April or May? Once that happens, I bet it will fall into the $30-$40 range.

I forgot where, but I do remember reading that the MX510 was a Best Buy-only product...I think it was on the box itself, I'm not sure.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 31
Re: PS/2 port:

Remember when going into Safe Mode would cause your mouse not to work? My friend has the MX700 wireless and when going into WXP it still continues to work, yes, even his Logitech wireless keybaord continues to work. I was very impressed.

Re: Linux, if you build the OS with the PS/2 mouse installed it may be hard to re-configure to the Optical. It's this problem which I am presently having with SUSE.

Everglide and Ratzpad - any other great mice pads out there? I'm presently using the 3Com Precise Mousing Surface pad. (I believe they are on sale now at CompUSA for $6).

Ratzpad vs. Everglide:

http://www.pc-extreme.co.uk/view.asp?ID=21&PAGE=1
http://www.pc-extreme.co.uk/view.asp?ID=24

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 31
From what I have read, the fUnc mouse pad seems to be the best.

I currently have an Everglide pad that, uh, does not glide forever. It's worn out some in the middle and my mouse doesn't move as easily. I've had it for two years though. I'm going to try a fUnc pad next unless someone can recommend something better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back