Logitech Harmony 720 Universal Remote
Jun 4, 2007 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bootleg

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't get my new McIntosh to work with the cheesy universal remote that comes with our cable box (the NAD worked fine), so I started looking into remote options.

I decided to give the Logitech Harmony 720 a try, it's the UR they sell at Costco. To be honest, I was expecting a moderate failure and was extremely prepared to just return it to Costco when it didn't work out.

I have a fair amount of experience programming remotes...I did the big Marantz RC2000 Mk II as well at the Marantz RC5000 all by my lonesome...Let me tell you, the Logitech KICKS ASH ALL OVER TOWN on those two.

It took me all of 15 minutes to smoothly have it up and running, complete with Macros. It took my old lady all of 3 minutes to figure it out (she is using it now). The thing feels very rich in your hands, has a rechargeable battery, and a slick full color display. It switches between inputs and components flawlessly and appears to have a more powerful IR blaster than any of the stock remotes we have.

We're now less than 30 minutes into its use, and I am expecting to eventually find some bugs that will need to be worked out with the programming software, but for now I give it a HUGE thumbs up, especially considering that its price of $169 is now just $139 due to an instant rebate at Costco.

Just my take...for posterity's sake.

image.php

Jun 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 8
It looks really nifty, and I'm sure it's very versatile but the minimalist in me prefers this, if only in terms of design.:

appleremote.jpg

Just a thought, how long is the battery life? That screen must drain the battery a lot faster than your average remote.

Jun 9, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Its rechargeable, and returnable to Costco at anytime if the internal battery goes bad...that being said it looks like it can go 4 or 5 days between charges with moderate to heavy use.

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 8
that thing is sexy as hell, why is it not on the logitech site though?

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 8
If you can use a 110v version, I'd be happy to go to Costco and get one for you. You just have to buy me a chicken bake for my trouble.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Did I mention the super cool tilt sensor? No more pushing a random button to get your remote to light up at night: this one lights up automatically when you pick it up.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 8
I tried an early Logitech universal and was not impressed, I had a chance to use on of the new ones a few weeks ago, and they are worlds better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back