Logitech G433 impressions
Aug 11, 2018 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

soulblast

New Head-Fier
As it stood, I was looking for new full sized HPs for music, mainly vocal oriented stuff. As a plus, I was interested of gaming headsets with a quality microphone, used for my own singing stuff. I've tried and even owned some Sennheisers in the past. They all tend to sound too dark and/or muddy, still lacking in low bass, with almost no natural full impact of music. So I said no for Sennheisers this time.

I've also owned a pair of Beyers in the past, DT-531. That pair appeared relatively neutral and more naturally alive in comparison to Senns. Now I also tried all of DT-770/990 pros, and the thing connecting all of those Beyers is an unnatural sibilant high treble coloration, subjectively reducing natural resonant type of ringing of human voice on mids, with that treble coloration taking over the ringing. I couldn't tolerate that.

Then I tried Audio Technica M-lineup. Obvious from the get-go was lack of either muddy or too sibilant colorations taking over the resonant behavior of mids when needed. As such, all models between ATH-M20x and M50x had the naturally present singer. M20 actually as I felt it had the most present singer, probably due to lack of any dips in 600-3000Hz. Treble wasn't good though, it lacked presence and felt like it had some dip. I didn't like M30 as much, it felt more disconnected.

M40/50 were clearly objectively better. Going up to these models gave step by step more bass/treble extension. Bass also appeared more punchy. What was lost though was the important presence of singer's voice, making these models too laid back for my taste.

Then I read some reviews on rtings.com about gaming headsets. I couldn't believe my eyes! Many headsets, even in sub $100 range had very respectable frequency response measurements. Also, some headsets had very high quality microphone which could be awesome for my singing hobby. I read through reviews and ended up ordering Logitech G433 in a rush without listening to it first. There's still 50 days money back return policy so no trouble buying em blind.

Straight from the get-go, it was obvious these headphones had huge impactness through the whole of frequency range! These are obvious bass monsters, but mids/treble are in no way laid back, and have very neutral balance. What I learned fast thou was that I could hear the resonant natural singer presence, BUT too much in the background due to overpowering lows. Listening more and more albums, it was obvious that high/mid bass had to be tamed down to get the most out of these cans. I decided to open the cans to see what's inside.

What I found was very small enclosures for the drivers. The small enclosure though was vented to the rest of the cans volume by 3 vent holes. I decided let's try block one of the vent holes, the middle one. I used soft earplugs, cut a narrow piece out of it and sealed the vents. Result? Bass was obviously tamed down! Mids started to shine more and have more of the presence I'm after. Bass is still strong, but not clearly overpowering anymore. I might try sealing another vent hole later on.

These are amazing cans for the sub $100 price. Imo they beat all of Audio Technica ATH-M20-50. Just remember to seal a vent hole or two for more balanced sound. More plus? Great neutral microphone!

rtings.com review with frequency response measurement:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/logitech/g433

Go get em for tests. I'd like to hear more comparisons to quality headphones with one or two vent holes sealed on the Logitech.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 2
I did seal another vent. The one directly next to the middle one. The lone separate vent on the other side was left open. This totally got the phones rid of the upper bass boom. Bass was still extended well, just tamed down the boom. As of now, the phones appear close to perfectly neutral. Still I hear something going on in treble, but nothing that draws attention too much.

So G433 appears close to perfectly neutral, most probably beating close to any $150 phones. Huge plus is that this HP delivers HUGE impacts, especially for drums. This will be a HP of choice for rock, beating probably anything below $200.

Don't diss G433 just because it's Logitech. Quality don't need to come from just hifi brands. I've gone past that stupid assumption and saved big chunk of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back