Logical Upgrade To Rig I'm Not Totally Happy With?
Aug 9, 2008 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tiger27

Head-Fier
I have a 5.5 iPod Classic, Qables LOD connector, Meier 2MOVE, and Senn HD580s. I am pretty happy with the performance of this setup, but was infected with upgraditis long ago.

What sort of upgrade is likely to yield the biggest improvement in sound quality? Budget is $300, $350 tops.

-Tiger
580smile.gif

Edit: My listening ranges from rock, blues, country, jazz, to classical.

2d Edit: I know this is probably a big can of worms, BUT . . . I have been nodding off while listening a lot recently and can see where the 580s might be considered a little too "polite" (I used to laugh at people who complained of falling asleep while listening) so it seems a different set of 'phones with a more "upfront" presentation may be in order.

I have never heard a Grado or AKG or Ultrasone for that matter. I do like Sennheiser's ability to smooth things over, but think that I may not be totally aware of what exactly the "veil" is, due to my limited experience. I want something that is more engaging and quicker than the HD580s, but not harsh, grainy, or grating. Does such a thing exist??

I am not averse to any manufacturer and would stick with Sennheiser if they offer something close to the description of what I'm looking for.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 6
I'll tell you from personal experience, I spent $350 upgrading my HD485 on an Elite Pro to a HD580 on a $200 USB dac (the bloat, if you are wondering). the difference is noticable, but nearly as impressive as i expected.

for $350, I'm not sure you'll get too much of an improvement. you are running line-out to a quite decent amp and the HD580 are a nice pair of cans. maybe you should invest in a different pair of cans for variety, though

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 6
Is there anything specifically about your sound production in your setup that you can say for sure that you would like to hear improved? What kind of files are you playing out of your iPod? (Personally, that's the most irksome to me your set-up, but only personally)

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1joe507 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything specifically about your sound production in your setup that you can say for sure that you would like to hear improved? What kind of files are you playing out of your iPod? (Personally, that's the most irksome to me your set-up, but only personally)

My files are a combination of lossy AACs and Apple Lossless. And I can tell the difference in many instances. I guess the main improvement I would like to make is better soundstage and (occasionally) better separation. Sometimes I think the sound improvements I desire could only be accomplished by better recording/mastering and by the time I hear it, it is too late for that.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I think the sound improvements I desire could only be accomplished by better recording/mastering and by the time I hear it, it is too late for that.

Haha! Very true! It sounds like higher resolution is your beef. If you know that you will likely be progressively spending money over the next several months and/or years, I would suggest (and hear come the arguments) on starting with your source. Why? Because getting a clean source means you can fool around with whatever cans you'd like in the future and only have to worry about interconnects and other nerdy concerns. (I mean nerdy very personally and affectionately.
biggrin.gif
) And, if you stay away from inegrated DAC/amps, you will not have to worry about switiching your source(s) every time you want to switch out an amp.

It might be time to ditch the iPod, at least in your home line-up, and go with a DAC from your computer. Lossless, AIFF, flac, etc is the way to go from there.

You can always change 'phones, interconnects, amps, down the line, but you will not likely change out sources nearly as often, especially if it is a clean, highly resolving source. If your source does not resolve well, you'll never truly get a great soundstage down the line by the time the noise gets to your ears. IMHO.

An LCD TV capable of 1080i resolution will make a normal cable signal look like crap. The 1080i TV will not make your 480p DVD look like 1080i. You need to start with your source.

But, if you want some fun, poke around the forums a bit; there have been arguments in the past about whether or not you should spend the money on sources first or 'phones first for upgrades. It is a bit of an opinion-fest,
deadhorse.gif
but maybe you'll find something that resonates with ya.

Good luck!
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back