Logical "Next Step Up" from GoVibe 6?
Jan 14, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

greenzee

100+ Head-Fier
I like my GV6 v2, but in the neverending quest to fix something that really isn't broken, I'm considering upgrading my amp. I am addicted to IEM's and earbuds, which many will say do not need amplification, however I find that many (my de-podded Altec IM716's for example) shine when amped. My Vmoda's and Super.fi 3's, not so much.

That said, I have a Zune 30gb, and 75% of the time use my IM716's, and the rest of the time KSC75's mainly, with a dash of CX300, Vmoda Vibes or Super.fi 3's as my ears request (mainly a comfort thing, they are moody little fellas).

With the expectation that I will upgrade to a nice closed full size headphone at some point, but noting that I do not have a burning desire to do so, as I love my IM716's (and smaller headphones in general), what is a nice "next step" from the GV6? Does the HeadSix offer an improvement? Do I need to jump to the level of a Tomahawk or Hornet, SuperMacro, or beyond?

I've been extremely happy with my GV6, maybe with the exception of looking for a wee bit more gain at times, depending on the phones.

I figure I spent about $100 on my GV6 setup, and would spend $150-$200 to see a noticeable improvement immediately. If $300+ gets me there, I'll keep GoVibe'in away, and save my pennies.

I'm sure many of you out here have upgraded from a GV5/6/7, and I'm curious what you went to, what knocked your socks off, and what didn't.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 2
I went from a Go-Vibe V6 to a Penguinamp Caffeine, which is a very nice step up with the Ety ER4S and Yuin PK1 that I use at work with an iPod and ALO Line Out Dock. It gives a clearer, cleaner, more spectrally balanced sound with a blacker background. This also results in a better defined placement of musical voices and a larger portrayal of the soundstage. For a slightly higher, but pretty similar, price I find the Penguinamp Caffeine to provide a good bit more listening enjoyment than the Go-Vibe V6, which was a favorite and much-enjoyed work amp since when it was first offered.

I also purchased a TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid Amp for use at work. The sub-mini tubes used in this amp (yes, they are powered by a battery and they do not get at all warm) give a very enjoyable and subtle lushness and bloom to the sound. Neither the PK1 nor the ER4S are sensitive enough to pick up the tube rush (which the Shure SE530 or other higher sensitivity in-ear phones will pick up). The tubes give a fuller, more textured and more organic portrayal of the music over all genres (used with full-sized phones or not highly sensitive in-ear phones). At a price of more like $500, this amp is a pretty serious step up in price from the GV V6.

I'm very glad to have both the Penguinamp Caffeine and the TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid Amp for the particular strengths that each offers to my listening at work. And, even so, I still dip back into my GV V5 and V6 amps at work from time to time to remember the characteristics of their sounds that I still find enjoyable and appealing. What brings me back to the Caffeine and the Millett Portable is that they bring out the best of the phones I use at work at a substantially lower listening volume - which I find a good deal less distracting and fatiguing while listening as I work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back