LODS Do I need a $50 lod? (please give suggestions)
Jun 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #31 of 50
It has to be sourced from the same people due to being in stock. The only difference is the thin mesh around the cable. Certainly not fake, the sound is very very good, interested to hear what it sounds like with the bass tamed and my gain adjustment.
Perfect size huh?
How did I get sucked into cable geekness? lol
What I have learnt is that longer the cable degrades not only the sound but the sound level. Makes sense.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #32 of 50
I am in the same boat , but with SONY LOD. The one from ALO is about $135 and one from Fiio Is about $20. However Fiio one has more information on materials used in the cable where as the one from ALO just says 24 awg copper and has 4 wires Vs 22 AWG and 2 wires on Fiio. The Fiio looks real good deal.. but there must be something in ALO for them to charge that much . Please keep the inputs coming.

PC

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #33 of 50
Yea can someone please put some input on 20 dollar LOD vs 135 from ALO? I'm planning on getting an Arrow and want to save some money and get a cheaper LOD. Will I hear any difference and how is the built on fiilo LOD?

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #35 of 50

Quote:
Yea can someone please put some input on 20 dollar LOD vs 135 from ALO? I'm planning on getting an Arrow and want to save some money and get a cheaper LOD. Will I hear any difference and how is the built on fiilo LOD?

I've just purchased a Fiio L3 and it's excellent.

I can't comment on any expensive LOD's as I have nothing to compare.

Steven.

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #36 of 50
I've built mini-to-mini, RCA, LODs and done a number of recables for myself and a few friends in my spare time.  

With high priced LODs, you're mostly paying for build quality and aesthetics.  With good quality wire, there isn't much sound difference.  I know some will disagree with the wire sound differences but it's really just conducting the signal (3 to 6 inches) between your iPOD and amp.  Capacitance is measured in feet so signal loss within the distance isn't a factor.  I do think cable shielding is important. 

With that said, the Silver Plated Copper I've used doesn't sound as good as Oxygen Free Copper (OFC), SCSCag or TWcu. (I haven't tried the Cryo SPC yet)  With the higher end OFC, SCSCag or TWcu there is very little discernible sound difference in my experience.

The part costs to actually build a LOD are:
Male iPOD connector (from Ridax) = $2.39
Gold tip 3.5 Mini Plug = approx $5.00 (Depending on what you want you could buy a $15 mini plug)
Oxygen Free Copper = $0.17 per foot (Mogami)
     (24awg Ultra-pure Ohno continuous cast process copper from Double Helix = $2.50 per foot)

So you're looking at less than $20 in parts.

Warrantee is worth something but when I see a LOD for more than $100 I just shake my head. 

The question is,
does a $100 LOD sound 5x better than a $20 LOD? I think not.  
Does a $50 LOD sound better than $20? Depends on the wire.

Is it worth 2x the price. That's up to you. 

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #37 of 50
^Definitely not because I cannot tell discernable differences between the much touted Crystal cable (I think the one I heard was Piccolino or w/e it was) and the DIY-ed TWCu cable I bought.

Perhaps in RCAs, headphone recables and such, due to the length the wire quality might make or break the sound...but for LOD...

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #38 of 50

Quote:
I've built mini-to-mini, RCA, LODs and done a number of recables for myself and a few friends in my spare time.  

With high priced LODs, you're mostly paying for build quality and aesthetics.  With good quality wire, there isn't much sound difference.  I know some will disagree with the wire sound differences but it's really just conducting the signal (3 to 6 inches) between your iPOD and amp.  Capacitance is measured in feet so signal loss within the distance isn't a factor.  I do think cable shielding is important. 

With that said, the Silver Plated Copper I've used doesn't sound as good as Oxygen Free Copper (OFC), SCSCag or TWcu. (I haven't tried the Cryo SPC yet)  With the higher end OFC, SCSCag or TWcu there is very little discernible sound difference in my experience.

The part costs to actually build a LOD are:
Male iPOD connector (from Ridax) = $2.39
Gold tip 3.5 Mini Plug = approx $5.00 (Depending on what you want you could buy a $15 mini plug)
Oxygen Free Copper = $0.17 per foot (Mogami)
     (24awg Ultra-pure Ohno continuous cast process copper from Double Helix = $2.50 per foot)

So you're looking at less than $20 in parts.

Warrantee is worth something but when I see a LOD for more than $100 I just shake my head. 

The question is,
does a $100 LOD sound 5x better than a $20 LOD? I think not.  
Does a $50 LOD sound better than $20? Depends on the wire.

Is it worth 2x the price. That's up to you. 

Thanks so much for the write up. Now i am leaning more towrds Fiio .. No sense spending money if it doesn't add value

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #39 of 50
Don't get me wrong. There is value in higher priced LODs but like I said, its up to you if it's worth it.  Build quality does count for a lot.  I also have the Fiio LOD as well as some other more expensive ones and a couple I've made. The Whiplash LODs are great quality, handmade, good wire and a good value for the higher $.  The Fiio LOD is solid mass produced product.  

Personally, I'm skeptical about the flat ribbon cable type LODs mentioned earlier in this thread.  The bend radius is nice but I think that over time it's more susceptible to damage IMO.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #40 of 50
I agree about the flat ribbon type. I have been very careful with mine, but it is more prone to catching and snagging. 

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #42 of 50
Probably any.

I had the ZY Hi-end I dock and it oxidized on me after only a year. I noticed the gradual oxidation had really gotten bad when my portable rig started sounding dull and very rolled off at the extremes.
Meh.

Jun 13, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #43 of 50
Jun 13, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #44 of 50
Over time Copper will oxidize. Even OFC can eventually oxidize.  It just depends on how much eventual air/moisture exposure there is to the copper.  It usually starts at the ends where wire is soldered.  Once the green color builds up it doesn't conduct the signal as well and sound can be affected.

Silver can also oxidize but doesn't turn green in color.  A lot of people say that oxidation of silver wire actually sounds better.

I think this is one reason for silver plated copper SPC wire. High purity stranded silver wire is hard to find.

As I said earlier, the FiiO is a good quality, mass produced LOD for really cheap.

Whiplash has a good quality handmade LOD for $35.
http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/ipod-and-iphone-cables/whiplash-audio/ultra-copper-lod.html

Jun 13, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #45 of 50
The ZY cable oxidized in the middle mostly. And the silvery parts turned green. Da fug?
It was the silver that oxidized more than the copper.
Regardless, one year of life is too short.

also, I don't think ofc is the right stuff to use with an ipod. I haven't tried occ copper, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back