LOD vs. 3.5mm to 3.5mm?
Nov 17, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 8
The volume is disabled because the iPods signal is no longer going through the iPods amp section.  This disables your iPods volume control.  

Now that we've established that when using the iPods LOD feature you bypass the amp section, thats one less stage and fewer parts in the way of the signal.  When using the iPods headphone jack, you are double amping the signal from the iPod.

So better quality... yes.  And is it noticeable, well with good ancillary gear, yes.

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
The volume is disabled because the iPods signal is no longer going through the iPods amp section.  This disables your iPods volume control.  

Now that we've established that when using the iPods LOD feature you bypass the amp section, thats one less stage and fewer parts in the way of the signal.  When using the iPods headphone jack, you are double amping the signal from the iPod.

So better quality... yes.  And is it noticeable, well with good ancillary gear, yes.

Just a clarification, I'm pretty sure that you do not bypass the cheap amp on the iPod, but rather the crappy volume attenuator. Have you tried to plug your headphones into a LOD? The iBasso LOD allows this and YOU WILL BLOW your eardrums. It's literally the iPod on max volume. So the signal does indeed pass through the amp section.

I have A-B'd RCA to RCA and LOD many times with headphones, IEMs, and home theater speakers and ALL sounded better with the LOD. Just goes to show you how a cheap volume attenuator can hurt the sound.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 8
your amplifier most probably didnt have a volume control -.-" i tried it with my hippo box it exploded my ears....
Amp-wise an LOD definitely does bypass the ipod/iphone's crappy internal amplifier, and thats most probably how the guys at apple designed it.
I mean comeooonn please with all those consumer oriented ipod docks(in which all possess in-built amps) floating arnd in the market apple had to design something that would prevent them from double-amping.

THREAAAAAAD REVIVAAAAAL :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back