LOD Question
Nov 25, 2015 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wburton

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm new to amps and I am looking for clarification with line out docks. Since it bypasses the internal amp, does that mean all iPods would sound the same? I have a RockBoxed Classic and a Touch and I'm wondering if it sounds the same or if the sound card affects it or if any software afects it. Does RockBox benefit/change the sound at all if you are using a LOD?
Thanks,
wburton

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 4
  Hello,
I'm new to amps and I am looking for clarification with line out docks. Since it bypasses the internal amp, does that mean all iPods would sound the same? I have a RockBoxed Classic and a Touch and I'm wondering if it sounds the same or if the sound card affects it or if any software afects it. Does RockBox benefit/change the sound at all if you are using a LOD?
Thanks,
wburton

AFAIK, an LOD is a Line Out Device.  That still means the player is using its own internal DAC.  So yes, there will still be differences - perhaps just as much without the LOD.  The DAC itself is what really determines the sound signature.  The LOD just ensures you are getting the best in a purely amplified signal from the player.  Otherwise, you would have double-amplification and distortion is 2X in those cases.  It can sound OK in many scenarios, but never as good as an LOD.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 4
  AFAIK, an LOD is a Line Out Device.  That still means the player is using its own internal DAC.  So yes, there will still be differences - perhaps just as much without the LOD.  The DAC itself is what really determines the sound signature.  The LOD just ensures you are getting the best in a purely amplified signal from the player.  Otherwise, you would have double-amplification and distortion is 2X in those cases.  It can sound OK in many scenarios, but never as good as an LOD.

So both internal stuff and software matter? The EQ and stuff from RockBox will go into the onboard DAC and then the external amp, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back