LOD Question Digital vs. Analog
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

2000se

New Head-Fier
So I have searched and never really came across a satisfactory answer so I'll ask straight out..

The ipod has a digital version of the music we listen to, it then gets passed though the 30 pin dock connector and into the 1/8th inch plug into the amp. From the amp into the headphones. 

Now, my question, is the signal coming out of the 30 pin dock into the 1/8th inch plug digital or analog? I'm inclined to say analog, but why? I feel like we are using the ipod D/A conversion instead of "something" else that is probably better right? Can we not get pure digital signal out and use a better D/A converter before the amp.. That's gotta be better right?

Is there a cable that be used to extract the digital signal from the ipod to an external D/A converter / AMP setup that is very portable?

I hope I am not asking a question that has been answered over and over..If so, I apologize. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 4
It would be analog. if it goes to an amp with out a dac, it has to be analog. Only a dac can receive digital. You can bypass the analog out and get a pure digital signal by using only a couple of devises. The wadia 170i  is the most popular method allowing you to use a better dac and amp than the one that is in the ipod. There are a couple other options like it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 4
yeah.. i saw that piece. Seems pretty nice. As far as portability goes...it turns into a standard conversation at that point...

What cable would you use? USB? into the D/A converter?

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 4
The only option you have is a digital spdif (coax) or you can use the internal dac within the wadia unit and then use the rca outputs to your amp. It has gotten pretty good reviews and if you want better quality, you can have the unit modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back