LOD makes no sense for iPhone/Touch (?)
Oct 9, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #31 of 41
yes claus, i meant essentially the amp section versus the unamped line out section. it is not perfect line out: it is still from the same dac that supplies the analogue out but it is not affected in the same way as the headphone, but considering that the headphone out on the ipod is already quite good, i really don't bother.

amping any head or line will result in better quality, no question.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #32 of 41
I agree with you, shigzeo. After having listened to both outputs via a Mini3 amp now for a week, I think the quality difference is rather neglectible. I did not conduct a blind test, but I have serious doubts, that I would be able to identify which is which with my Ety's under blind conditions, especially when walking around or sitting in busses or trains.

I am soldering my own cables, because I like them to fit exactly to the way I am carrying my ipod and amp in different pockets of my jacket or my bag. I am probably going to make a mini to mini cable, because I do not really trust the dock in terms of long term reliability and stability when carrying all the stuff around every day.

So is my initial question if the LOD makes sense for the iPhone/Touch answered? Not completely. At least it is answered for me personally, because I was motivated to do some simple measurements and listen carefully for some time. My answer is: I do not care for the maybe existing difference in quality because under the circumstances I am using my ipod it does not matter for me.

I can only join in the mantra of all experienced hifi fans: Listen carefully and decide for yourself before you change something on an audio system that might already be perfectly tailored to your application. And in the mantra of all objectivists: make blind comparisons wherever possible, if you do not want to fool yourself
darthsmile.gif
! And if you like a component purely for aesthetical reasons (e.g. beautiful expensive cables), then admit the real reason to yourself and do not pretend to hear non existing differences in sound.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #33 of 41
Well really the only reason I used an amp with my 1st gen touch was to cut the hiss. The second gen has no detectable hiss, and my new zune 16 gig
icon10.gif
has nano level hiss (very little) so I'm good. Tstarno6, I know things will get better, I have some property myself down Florida way and some stable investments. I'm just floored by the markets performance, by the way what are FiiOs ?

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #34 of 41
FiiO is the $8.50 headphone amp made in China sweeping the portable amp threads. I have 3 of them, and really like what they do for certain phones (OK3s, Image X10s) and certain DAPs (Clip,Zune). They are $8.50 shipped from Dealextreme. com. Run on AAA battery. Unreal low-cost hi-fi. They don't work well with all DAPs or phones, but at that price, a must for any headphone junkie. I own two white ones and a black one.

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #35 of 41
So i have been reading all the posts in this and other threads but got somewhat confused by everyones opinion.

Can I just ask: I have an iPod touch 1st gen 32GB. Is it worth getting the Line Out adapter? My headphones are Alessandro MS-1.
My dac/amp is a NuForce Icon Mobile.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #36 of 41
From claus's experience, that'd be a "No", I think. And despite having a LOD cable thing myself, I'm inclined to agree. Heck, I prolly wouldn't bother with the amp, even...even though I use a 2Move between my iPod Touch and HD25. What can I say...I like the volume knob. LOL.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #37 of 41
LOL the LO is most definitely better. I dont know what all you doubters are on about. with a pico or lisa III i'm in heaven. also claus I think you should have a look inside the ipod at the headphone jack before declaring the HP a more solidly built output than the lineout. the line out at least has locking pins and a larger area to spread the force over. the HP jack in the ipod/iphone (and probably every other dap around) is cheap/flimsy and so not superior to the LO. also when I DIYMODDED my ipod 5.5G and several others; I remove the caps, industors etc in the lineout path coming directly from the wolfston. doing this and using with a capped dock and amp I get a much better signal.... much bette!!!; but the HP jack still works as before. the difference between the two signals is there are more parts in the way in the HP out and they are also effected by software AFAIK and digitally attenuated. it is less noticeable with the iphone 3G because it actually has a very good HP out IMO but there is still a noticeable difference to these ears. YMMV of course

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Hm, being a stubborn objectivist I hesitate to believe my ears when it comes to such subtle differences in sound quality, at least in a non blind comparison.

Smart guy.

Really, I think that all of this 'line out' mania is a little over-stated. I can't say that there can't be a difference on one particular DAP or another (if the design of the final amp is poor), but generally, and especially in the case of the 2G Touch the final amp output tests with an almost perfectly flat response with distortion figures far below detectability with human hearing (as long as you don't have the thing cranked wide open.) The final output stage might take away a few dB from the s/n figure but not likely even that would be audible. In any event if you can hear a difference in 'detail' just because of a final op-amp stage then either the design is incredibly poor or you are imagining it, and IMO in most cases it's the latter.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by idpadan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened a lot both with and without an LOD (ipod/apple lossless format/pico amp) and am convinced that the LOD makes all the difference. Just my two cents.

I concur. There's no doubt in my mind.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #41 of 41
Just chiming in here... I'm finally picking up my 2G Touch today. I'll be using Westone UM1s with them, daily subway duty. Am considering a cheap ebay LOD and a cheap FiiO E5 (combined cost <$50).

I know the UM1s do benefit from amplification, and they are a bit sensitive so lowering hiss would be nice. I'm just wondering if this is worth it, considering I'm not spending a lot (not a quality LOD or amp...)

Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back