LOD/Line out to 3.5mm Cable for Android? (similar to FiiO L9 for iDevices)
May 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Fuzaken

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So finally after months of on/off searching for fixes, I finally got line out audio out of my Nexus5 working, with a OTG cable to an ELE-DO1 USB DAC and a 3.5mm interconnect to my E11 (making it unwieldy to carry around for daily use - the E11 was already pushing it when I wear tight jeans hahaha), but it sounds considerably better than double amping out of the 3.5mm jack on the N5.

And so my question here is, is there a cable available for android similar to the FiiO L9 cable for iDevices; that will bypass the Amp section (forgive me if I'm wrong) of my N5 and out to a 3.5mm plug (to connect to my E11)? i.e. Micro USB to 3.5mm cable

This would allow me to achieve 2 things I believe:

1) Ditch the ELE DAC (at the cost of some SQ, but I can live with it)
2) Stop double amping

So far my suspicions as to why I can't seem to find anything are that, the device wouldn't recognise the cable as an 'audio channel' (don't know the proper term) so wouldn't transmit audio signal to the cable?

Any help would be appreciated! 
Thanks!

(still 'new' to head-fi, usually a lurker haha)

May 8, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 4
I don't think there is such a device - Androids use an integrated DAC and headphone driver chip. iPods and iOS devices also use chips like these but the 30-pin docks can disable volume control, and supposedly also bypasses other parts of the same chip (the "amp" part).* Androids and Lightning devices don't have this same feature, but on the plus side, it's easier to just get the audio signal out in digital form then have it go through a DAC with a real output stage designed for feeding an amp (or they're both in the same box).

*similarly, the iMods bypass the parts after that chip, or replace them with a different capacitor, mostly there for safety but some choose the caps for cleaner, more open output or to color it and make it warmer)

May 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 4
Ah, I see... that's a pity, didn't want to have dish out ~70 for a decent DAC/AMP combo to get a more portable solution but I guess that's the only the only way to make full use of line out on androids :\

That's interesting though, I was wondering if the lightning devices would support a LOD... not sure why they'd remove that functionality

Thanks for your help!

May 8, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Ah, I see... that's a pity, didn't want to have dish out ~70 for a decent DAC/AMP combo to get a more portable solution but I guess that's the only the only way to make full use of line out on androids :\

Actually you'd have to shell out a bit more than that - cheapest DAC-Amp I know that works with Android is the Ibasso D-Zero, and it's $99; not sure about cheaper, AC-powered DACs with no headphone amps (portables tend to have both or just an amp). Add the OTG adapter and cable, or a short OTG to microUSB adapter which can be a bit pricey because these aren't things you can find mass-produced on eBay or Fry's, and you could be out another $70. I use mine at home so the cable and adapter aren't as much of a problem as not having a dock to hold it all up (whose ports also work as a sync port, ergo works with OTG).

Quote:
That's interesting though, I was wondering if the lightning devices would support a LOD... not sure why they'd remove that functionality

One of the alternatives was having a DAC chip inside the docks or adapters. I remember someone disassembled a Lightning dock before and found a DAC chip soldered in the middle of the male plug running to the female socket on the rear. So at home you still get a real line out; not sure about portable adapters having this though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back