LOD for ipod classic--Worth it?
Oct 9, 2009 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SethSil

New Head-Fier
So i have a nothing setup. a cmoyBB amp and some HD555s. I have an Ipod classic 120gb, everything ripped at V0. Is it worth it for an LOD? Lets go ahead and assume I am stuck in siberia for 2 years and all they sell is LOD equipment-- no headphones, amps, etc. Would avoiding the headphone jack be a somewhat cost efficient way to improve the sound? My iPod is my primary way of listening to music, btw. In the future I would like to be able to hook it up to a nice real amp/speaker system, car, etc.

anyway

If I was to buy an LOD, I want to go cheap.I really like versatility: would it be worth it to get this: IPOD LINE OUT DOCK WITH STEREO JACK(BLACK COLOR) - eBay (item 290331576970 end time Oct-12-09 20:31:45 PDT)

and pair it with Cardas 6 inch Mini to Mini cable | HeadRoom Audio

or HeadRoom 4 Inch Mini to Mini | HeadRoom Audio

OR

should I get some proper $25+ line out dock. paying that much for a cable seems borderline absurd for my setup, I assume. I dont know, cables seem like snake oil territory and I dont want crap but the pseudoscientific explanations attached to some of the pricy stuff is flat out embarassing to read.

Anyway, I want some advice/opinions from some of you gritty veterans, familiar with LOD and the LOD experience.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't think it's worth it for you. Once you get a better headphone amp and the headphones that can detect subtle changes like amp and cables, THEN you add in the LOD.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 11
You can only benefit from a LOD when you have a head amp, as they bypass the volume control. Without an amp how would you control volume?

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 11
He has a CMoy amp.

I think it would be noticable to you. I recommend them, and they are available in many flavors and some are not expensive at all.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 11
thanks for the opinions! I would like some more, but anyway. If I was to buy an LOD-- should I get the LOD dock by itself, with just the headphone jack and then buy the mini to mini cable (which I would prefer, because I could use the mini to mini for other stuff), or the inexplicably much more common all-in-one LOD with attached 3.5 mini? What's the difference?

If I should buy the former, should I buy the expensive 18.00 headroom mini or the cheaper, stock mini? I like a good cable, but obviously id go cheap if its snake oil. Is there a serious consensus for a difference outside of headfi (that doesn't involve the same people who are into vague descriptions of the effect of their new 500 dollar cables with words like "palpability")?

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 11
without getting into esoteric unobtainium wiring... Any quality mini to mini cable will do fine. There are several line out adapters, both DIY sold by the community here, and commercially. If you have the possible use of a mini to mini cable, then perhaps that is your best option.

The key thing with any of the options is to get the music out of your iPod without going through the iPod amplifier. The LOD will take the line level signal right from the iPod internal DAC, and send it on to your amplifier. This is where you get the improvement in the SQ (sound quality).

I have usually preferred the one piece LOD, as I usually use my portable gear while travelling, and I try to minimize extra stuff, or stuff that become separated or lost. That being said, travelling with iPod/LOD/AMP/IEM still is a lot of parts.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 11
Simple as the CMoy is, it is far better than the amp in the ipod, especially for fullsize cans. Get the LOD, even a cheap one is very worth it.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 11
A LOD can be very convenient and very handy. It allows you to connect the iPod to things like an external headphone amp, home stereo, car stereo cassette adapter, car stereo head unit, anything that will take a line level input. Very handy.

I use a LOD like the one in the eBay link. The kind that you supply a mini cable. I find that very convenient as I already have several mini cables of various lengths and various connectors on the end. I get to choose a cable that is most suitable for length and connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back