LOD cable for Nano 6g
Sep 10, 2011 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dr Claudio

New Head-Fier
After digging and serching, I'm asking:

Does anyone know if LOD cables work with Nano 6g or not?

Some say it doesn't but I found some nice shots of ultra small portable systems with 6g Nano.
E.g. here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/511904/any-portable-amps-small-enough-for-the-new-ipod-nano

I've just made my first DIY LOD cable, it doesn't work with my 6g, but, what makes me confused, it work pretty nice with my mum's 5g!

Now my cable isn't equiped with resistor, but it was, it didn't work even then. Soldering of 11/15 and resistor seemed to be weakest so I thought it was a couse and I took it out. Without any recovery.

Why LOD cabe work with 5g and doesn't with 6g?

Is couse in software, my soldering abilities, different pinout or what? Does 6g need special cable?

I'm going to order amp soon, so I'm looking forward to your replies.

Thx!

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 11
I tolked with Hans from Qables, he said it might be problem with grounding. I'll try use both pin 1 and 2 as a ground, not only 2, and put resistor between 11/15 and 21 again.

If I think right, 1,2 and 11 must be grounded.

Every picture of system with Nano 6g, which I've found, is with pre prepared cable, not selfmade.

Br777, have you try make your own?

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm sorry for the confusion, it was just my mistake.

There are two types of conectors, with different pinouts.

Ferst one looks like:

1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29
  2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30

In HeadFi guides I've read, this one occur. But there is another type which looks like:

2  4  6  8 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30
  1  3  5  7  9 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 27 29

Second one is super slim type from Qables. Of course both conectors has pins from 1 to 30 in stright line, but deflection of pins is different. (I'm not sure if "deflection" is right word, I mean L-shape part of pin).
As a result I grounded serial gnd instead of audio gnd. And soldered resistor to 12/16 and 22.

Now I'm amazed it eventually work with Nano 5G and not suprised with 6G doesn't.

PS
I'm waiting forward soldering iron small anough.

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 11
ermm not sure what is going on here, I've used just about any lod connector you can think of including the qables ones, in fact i have the super slim one as well as regular slim type (with buttons) and 2 other regular type ones. the super slim one (very slim and no buttons) has exactly the same pinning as all the others, the top left is pin 1, just like every other one I've ever seen. I've only recently got some of the really slim ones, as it really doesn't matter to me as i don't use the housing, i make my own.

When i read your post i freaked as i just sent one off a couple of days ago without testing in my iPhone, just tested electrically, but after checking i can confirm that the top left (from the rear) is pin 1 and the bottom right is pin 30. so unless you area talking about another one again, something else must have gone wrong. the nano 5g doesn't need (or want, as it disables the audio redirection to line out enabled by connecting 11 to gnd) the resistor, 6g don't need the resistor afaik, but i don't own it and i put the resistor in most cables, except those that specifically don't want it. you also only need to use a single ground pin, 1,2 are connected, 15, 16 are connected and 29, 30 are connected; in fact afaik all these are connected on the motherboard. i have often in the past used just the 11-15 connection to connect the ground wire to to keep thing simple and not so crowded. i also recommend removing any of the pins you aren't using to give yourself as much room as possible, especially when just starting out

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #9 of 11
Can any1 confirm that pin 3,4 is audio line out and 2 or 15 is ground on the Nano 6G.

Will it work with or only without resistor?

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 11
Qusp, I had removed first left pin (looking from back) and realized that it were second one from another side! I've lost my camera cable so I can't upload a picure I had done. About super slim from Qables, I don't know what's going on too, may be housing is the same but with different interiors? I've no idea. Ok, let's stop doing a mess. And thanks for an explanation:)

Replika, every LOD cable you could buy has resistor, because manufactuers doesn't know if you will use it with iPhone or regular iPod. 6G work with it but, as Qasp said, it doesn't need it. It's up to you if you fit it or not. My FiiO has pins 2,3,4, 11, 15, 21, and 30.

Regards

Nov 11, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #11 of 11
Solved it :xf_eek:)

2 and 11 needed to be grounded. Seems like it works without resistor.
I also used the super slim from Qables as shown in fig 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back