LOD cable for an IPOD - Sound Quality Improvement?
Mar 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pltan

New Head-Fier
Hi ,

For all you experienced Head-Fi-ers, I have a few portable amps which I use with my IPOD, and I'm considering making the plunge for a LOD cable. Is it worth it? What kind of sound quality improvement is expected, and what kind of LOD cable would you reccomend?

I'm not really on a budget, but I believe in value
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you so much!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 8
IF you're using the headphone output to feed the amp, then yes, using a dock connector with line out signal will improve your sound because it bypasses the internal amplification circuitry.

But please please don't spend more than 30 or 40$ on a cable like that. Get someone to DIY you one!

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 8
iBasso and and eBay seller AW Audio Accessory have a simple LOD connector for $15-$16. It has a mini jack on it. It doesn't have an attached cable. You use your current mini connector cable. Handy. Flexible. Gets you the primary benefits of the LOD connector without the boutique price.

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 8
You could try to build it yourself, but if you don't have the equipment, it'll end more expensive than asking someone to build you one.

And lod's are tricky as a first cable.

Manuel

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iBasso and and eBay seller AW Audio Accessory have a simple LOD connector for $15-$16. It has a mini jack on it. It doesn't have an attached cable. You use your current mini connector cable. Handy. Flexible. Gets you the primary benefits of the LOD connector without the boutique price.

Oh boy those are expensive.

I remember talking to a manufacturer sometime ago, those cost about 1.5$ to make! 1000% markup!

While those are a good inexpensive solution the added connections and bulkness, a single cable will have 1/2 of the solder and cable connections and probably be more durable!

Mar 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I remember talking to a manufacturer sometime ago, those cost about 1.5$ to make! 1000% markup!

And the markup on other cable products and factory made LODs aren't similar?

Quote:

While those are a good inexpensive solution the added connections and bulkness, a single cable will have 1/2 of the solder and cable connections and probably be more durable!

I use one and it is convenient. I can use a longer cable if I want to plug my iPod into a home stereo or a home headphone amp. I can plug it directly to a cassette tape adapter in my car. When I use a portable headphone amp I can use a short cable. Convenient in that respect. Not the most audiophile solution, but it does get the primary benefit of the LOD of bypassing the iPod headphone circuitry and giving you a line out signal.

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe kinda high, but try and find one elsewhere. I couldn't. I believe it has something to do Apple putting the smack down on people marking products with their connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back