Locking audio equipment to desk
Oct 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

electrathecat

500+ Head-Fier
I use some high-end stuff at work. Though the equipment is in my office, I'm still a bit worried about theft when I'm not around (I didn't used to be but last week someone's jacket was stolen). I was thinking of just using a cable lock to secure my amp and source to my desk. Laptop locks look perfect, except that I think they assume you have a proprietary "input" to put the lock in. Does anybody have any ideas?

Oct 26, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 3
The proprietary input that you speak of is just an oblong hole in the casing of the laptop. If you can reproduce that shape in the casing of your amp/source you should be able to attach a notebook lock to them.

One thing to keep in mind is that the hole also needs to be of some depth. Casing that is too thin might just have enough wiggle room for the lock to become detached. Looking at my work laptop I would estimate the depth of the hole to be ~0.5cm.

As a side note I think it's important to mention that laptop locks are almost completely a deterrent only. If someone was determined to take the laptop and didn't care about the casing, he/she could break the little hole out of the casing and walk away with the laptop. A deterrent might be all that you're looking for, but if you need something sturdy I would probably put the source/amp in a lockable metal container that could be bolted to a desk.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Akui. Yes, I'm just looking for a deterrent (the source weighs like 60 lbs so that's likely a pretty big deterrent as is!). I doubt anybody has any idea how valuable these items are anyway, but I could see someone taking my stuff just because it looks cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back