Loading static noise.
Oct 24, 2010 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gngf123

New Head-Fier
I am just wondering if any of you guys have noticed a strange (rather quiet) static noise whenever there is any hard drive activity. I am convinced it is a software noise and not as a result of hardware, as I can seemingly turn it off by unplugging my sound gear.

I have disabled all windows sounds in control panel, and have gone into the audio manager and have disabled the sound on all programs that is not foobar, but still have these noises.

Any idea how to stop them?

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
I am just wondering if any of you guys have noticed a strange (rather quiet) static noise whenever there is any hard drive activity. I am convinced it is a software noise and not as a result of hardware, as I can seemingly turn it off by unplugging my sound gear.

I have disabled all windows sounds in control panel, and have gone into the audio manager and have disabled the sound on all programs that is not foobar, but still have these noises.

Any idea how to stop them?

If your sound gear that you are unplugging is a DAC the the DAC will auto mute when there is no signal. Sounds like you have a ground loop between your computer & sound system. This is a common problem. You need to break the gound loop with a gound loop isolator. Anouther way you can break the ground loop is by using the optical connection between you computer & DAC if you have a seperate DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back