living in canada and ordering from earphone solutions
Mar 11, 2011 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ambigramic

New Head-Fier
i was thinking of ordering the se215's but i was wondering from experience if anyone living in canada and has ordered from this site if they have ever been hit hard by customs, and if the international fedex really takes 2-3 days. thanks,.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 10
I have mine on order using regular post. The last time I did this with them it took about 10 days to arrive. I doubt Fedex will only be days and I guarantee you will get hit with customs using Fedex. Anything under $100 will likely get skimmed over by Canada Post so it's alot less likely you will get hit with customs.

Mar 11, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Myself when I have ordered from the US, I've typically gotten the company to send with USPS as they have the least cost for as far as any brokerage costs are concerned. At least in my experience thus far. I have to admit I haven't brought over any audio equipment, but when it comes to car parts, that's the way I have done it.
Sales tax iirc is based on the province to which you are bringing in the product. ie. here in MB we have the 7% provincial and the given 5% federal, therefore I'm paying 12% in sales tax. No different than if I were to buy something at the local store. When ordering from in Canada, from another province, it's obviously just the 5% federal tax that applies. I'm sure someone will correct me quickly enough if I'm wrong.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 10
I mean USPS from the states and Canada Post when it hits Canada. I used their cheapest service. If Canada Post flags the item you will get charged taxes and customs duty. But I have only been taxed a few times on orders through Canada Post. If you use a courier service though you will get charged a brokerage fee and taxes guaranteed.

Mar 12, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 10
^ exactly. FedEx/UPS can certainly charge an arm and a leg for bringing anything across the border. One thing that can be done, is if you go to your local customs office and clear the package yourself, then the brokerage fees would be waived by the shipping company. That is if you have an office nearby.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 10
I payed about $8 for shipping as I thought the free option was only available for the US. But have to say after I bought mine I realized that I had used a $3 discount that actually worked against me as I ended up paying shipping because it brought my order under $99. So ya I think the free shipping is the one I ended up paying for LOL.

But I also see you can do this through Canada Post using Earphone solutions where you guarantee yourself having to pay duty on them. So I really can't say what's going to happen here. Maybe the free option will guarantee you pay duty which will negate anything free. Or maybe I paid for shipping plus I will get nailed with duty on top of that, who knows. In any case I am just hoping I like the sound when I get them :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back