Livewires with Kenwood DAP
Sep 30, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I found that Kenwood+Rock EQ setting gives the Etys an awesome tonal balance. It's also better than "Kenwood(flat eq)+Xin Supermacro", so you get the picture.
That combo made me happy to sell the E500, since after having discovered the Rock preset the E500 sounded fairly inferior to my ears.
I listen mainly to rock with my DAP.

That is good to know and thanks again for the advice. So, while listening to your rock, do you find that the Etys actually have some bass kick. I don't imagine the low end is comparable to the E500 but perhaps you were pleasantly surprised?

How is the soundstage with the Etys when paired with the Kenwood? From what I've read, they have an extremely narrow soundstage "in the center of your head" although this is meant to improve under amp'd conditions. Any comparisons with the E500 soundstage?

Thanks again as your responses to the above questions may entice me to pick up the Etys and hope that this is an upgrade from the Shure E4.

El Duderino

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Duderino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is good to know and thanks again for the advice. So, while listening to your rock, do you find that the Etys actually have some bass kick. I don't imagine the low end is comparable to the E500 but perhaps you were pleasantly surprised?

It's difficult to get the same amount of bass that the E500 have. Still, I found that the Rock preset made a sort of miracle: bass kick, closer midrange, incredible detail, shiny highs. I tried an experiment at the time: I paired the Kenwood+Rock preset with the Supermacro, I activated the Bass switch and S switch, and the Etys had a wonderful sound signature, with a slamming bass that was more than what the E500 offered. The same result can be obtained with a Xin Supermini (IV or III), but the amp is absolutely not necessary. Due to portability (and money issues), I sold the amp.

Quote:

How is the soundstage with the Etys when paired with the Kenwood? From what I've read, they have an extremely narrow soundstage "in the center of your head" although this is meant to improve under amp'd conditions. Any comparisons with the E500 soundstage?

I was tempted to start saying: it's false. But truth is that it depends from the source. With my old Kenwood HD10GB7 and my current JVC XA-HD500, the Etys show a good soundstage. I compared accurately the Etys and the E500 on the Kenwood, and soundstage was pretty much the same.

Quote:

Thanks again as your responses to the above questions may entice me to pick up the Etys and hope that this is an upgrade from the Shure E4.

El Duderino

That's fine. A friend Headfier bought my Etys and sold his Atrio M5 and Shure E4c. It's the second time he got the ER4, and with his iMod+Reference as source/amp they sound much more awesome than when he tried them the first time, years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back