Livewires Question
Oct 9, 2007 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kpeezy

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I've spent a good bit of money on headphones and amps and wotnot lately. Too much IMO. I'm looking to, not really recoop, but find a nice medium that I can keep for a while. So, I'm downsizing to just HD580's and Livewires.

Question is, how are the livewires amped vs unamped? I'll be selling everything but my HD580's. I'll be ampless on my computer setup until I get a desktop amp, but I would be ok with that. I'm putting my stuff up for sale either way so let me know ASAP
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks!

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question is, how are the livewires amped vs unamped? I'll be selling everything but my HD580's. I'll be ampless on my computer setup until I get a desktop amp, but I would be ok with that.

Sorry, I can't help as I haven't tried them. But there is a detailed thread on the Livewires, and I'm sure some of the users will have commented on amped and unamped. Did you read through it first and ask in that thread?

If you did, and didn't find the answer, I'm sure someone will be along soon to help
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 13
remember that there is a search tool for the THREAD specifically too. i keep forgetting about that one.

Oct 9, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 13
They are very sensitive and dont require much power. So i think you should be fine getting enough volume out of your setup. However, i would think that almost any head/earphone would sound better with amplification.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 13
The LW are great unamped from my iRiver H140. The ipod however sounds better from a line out dock, so for the best sound an amp is helpful with ipod.

I am in the process of testing a PenguinAmp "Caffeine" and it acutally makes the headphone out of my 5.5G ipod sound good, with open and airy sound-stage and strong bass (even with bass boost turned off). I can't wait to try my Livewires with the amp.

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LW are great unamped from my iRiver H140. The ipod however sounds better from a line out dock, so for the best sound an amp is helpful with ipod.

I am in the process of testing a PenguinAmp "Caffeine" and it acutally makes the headphone out of my 5.5G ipod sound good, with open and airy sound-stage and strong bass (even with bass boost turned off). I can't wait to try my Livewires with the amp.

iPod headphone out sounds like poop, honestly. The line-out is light-years better. Invest $30 in a Turbodock or something similar, used (there's one in the FS forum right now, jump on it!) and you'll be amazed at how much better they've gotten.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 13
The Livewires are great with my Clix2, and they make a terrific portable combo.

If your source is noisy though, or your recorded material not top notch, then the Livewires will reveal these faults ruthlessly. I hear people criticise the Livewires for being "hissy" as if it's a fault. Livewires don't do superficial makeovers, if you put crap in you'll get crap out.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:27 AM Post #12 of 13
Straight from my iPod, they are sensitive enough to all the cr*p that the iPod kicks out as to be unlistenable. For me, an amp is a necessity. They are trialing an in-line resistor that should help the signal to noise ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back