Livewires first impressions + Pics
Aug 21, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope not, since that's what i'm going for, clear on clear.

Finally found somewhere willing to do the impressions without me also ordering a set of IEMs at the same time (unlike Specsavers). With any luck i'll have and be able to ship them out tomorrow
cool.gif

I emailed alex about this a few days but have still not heard any reply back yet, which is strange as any other email was answered in a few hours or next day at the latest
confused.gif

I was thinking of black faceplate to match the cable with the clear shell.

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who knows them got any impressions on how much amplification will improve them, SQ wise?

as with many good headphones the better the input the better things will sound...so yes, a good source and good amplification will make these sound better. but beware - it's very sensitive so your amp needs to be dead quiet. my PINT, which sounds fantastic, is just too noisy to be used with these IEMs...i just plug them straight into my ipod or other portable.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternality.pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, looks coo.l I finally ordered red/blue with black faceplates hope it will also turn quite pretty
smily_headphones1.gif

X2, sent impressions in and ordered on Friday. Red, Blue, with Black for faceplate must be popular???

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Hope not, since that's what i'm going for, clear on clear.

man...that's just asking for oxidation *did i use the right term?*

say hello to your brown or green 'phones 5 months down the road
biggrin.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

I dont like the sound of this, i think i'll play it safe and get blue instead.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #51 of 58
Got my impressions taken today at The Hearing Company in Hove, really quick process, and that included doing one ear twice as the goo slipped passed the foam a little first time around. Sent them as well, so if i want a different colour i'll have to hope they can change it via email
icon10.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #52 of 58
Hey guys, just came back from my trip to the states, including heavy usage of my setup on the flights and trains etc. It really is amazing how much more these attenuate than my etys or my closed beyers. On the plane home, I listened to some soft jazz at low volumes to fall asleep - low volumes being all that was needed to completely drown out the last bit of airplane noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so how much freedom do you have with the volume knob of the move?

Good question.

With my Imod, and with low gain on the Move, I have to be a bit careful with the volume knob. Comfortable listening level for me is after only about a 45 degree turn of the knob - that's just a few millimeters! I might ask Meier if he can mod it to have even lower gain... because it's just too hard to get the level right if you want to listen at low volume. And then there is the problem of channel imbalance, which starts to kick in once you come close to the knob's off position. Granted, the Move has improved vastly over the porta corda mk II in this regard, but with an abnormally sensitive headphone like the livewire, you are definitely going to hear it.

Bear in mind that the imod - and I assume basic ipod lineout - is a comparatively high gain portable source. When using the move's usb dac and the Livewires, I can play with the knob a lot more, but ofc then the livewires reveal nasty pops, crackles and strange computer noises of the source...

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #53 of 58
I'm holding my ear impressions, and will be in San Francisco tomorrow. Thinking about dropping off my impressions at the Livewires office. Alex said I could do that.

Still can't decide on the color(s), though. Guess I have to decide by tomorrow afternoon. Thinking clear all the way, or Red on the Right, Blue on the Left with Black or Tan plates.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

I emailed alex about this a few days but have still not heard any reply back yet, which is strange as any other email was answered in a few hours or next day at the latest .

You should try emailing them again. Sometimes things get caught up in their spam filter. I've had that happen to me while asking John some stuff before.

Aug 23, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try emailing them again. Sometimes things get caught up in their spam filter. I've had that happen to me while asking John some stuff before.

Yeah. i've sent another one last night just to be sure they got it.
I'll report back later

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flasken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, just came back from my trip to the states, including heavy usage of my setup on the flights and trains etc. It really is amazing how much more these attenuate than my etys or my closed beyers. On the plane home, I listened to some soft jazz at low volumes to fall asleep - low volumes being all that was needed to completely drown out the last bit of airplane noise.

Good question.

With my Imod, and with low gain on the Move, I have to be a bit careful with the volume knob. Comfortable listening level for me is after only about a 45 degree turn of the knob - that's just a few millimeters! I might ask Meier if he can mod it to have even lower gain... because it's just too hard to get the level right if you want to listen at low volume. And then there is the problem of channel imbalance, which starts to kick in once you come close to the knob's off position. Granted, the Move has improved vastly over the porta corda mk II in this regard, but with an abnormally sensitive headphone like the livewire, you are definitely going to hear it.

Bear in mind that the imod - and I assume basic ipod lineout - is a comparatively high gain portable source. When using the move's usb dac and the Livewires, I can play with the knob a lot more, but ofc then the livewires reveal nasty pops, crackles and strange computer noises of the source...

Ok thats what I thought.

The only reason that I'm not pulling the trigger (apart from money) is the abnormal impedence. My iriver hisses just noticeably with my pk-2s so hissing might be a problem. I hate hiss!

Aug 30, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

"Properties: Acrylic plastics transmit and control light, resist weather, are stable against discoloration, and have superior dimensional stability and an excellent combination of structural and thermal properties........Transparency, gloss, and dimensional stability of acrylics are virtually unaffected by years of exposure to the elements, salt spray, or corrosive atmospheres. These materials withstand exposure to light from fluorescent lamps without darkening or deteriorating. They ultimately discolor, however, when exposed to high-intensity UV light below 265 nm. Special formulations resist UV emission from light sources such as mercury-vapor and sodium-vapor lamps."

If you look at this table you'll see that it's UVC that can discolour acrylic.

* UVC - 100 to 290 nm
* UVB - 290 to 320 nm
* UVA - 320 to 400 nm

99% of UV radiation that actually reaches us is UVA. There is very little UVC reaching us as it's absorbed by the ozone layer. Mercury and germicidal lamps however do give off UVC, so avoid having your clear Livewires near these. Also don't leave them baking on a table in direct sunlight.

You'll enjoy the look and sound for many years....can't wait for mine!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back