Livewire or E500. Need suggestions!
Sep 26, 2007 at 9:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheNew007

Banned
LOW END CUSTOM VS HIGH END UNIVERSAL

Anybody have an opinion? The only comparison I could find between the two is in this article http://homerecording.about.com/od/au.../livewires.htm

The reviewer states that E500 has the same amount of bass as livewires (strangely, considering e500 has 3 drivers and livewires only have 2) and the sonic differences between the two are that e500 have better mids and are less bright than the livewires.

Currently the e500 seems like a relatively better deal and I just want further clarifications before I make up my mind.
1) How comfortable is it? Do you experience any microphonics while walking or jogging?
2) What kind of music best suites the e500 (or vice versa)? I listen to alot of rock/trance so which would I like better?
3) Is an amp necessary for the e500 to sound good? If so, what kind of budget would those amps fall into?

***Assume that e500 and livewire are equal in price

All suggestions are appreciated
Thanks

Sep 26, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 18
"Compared to the Shure E500, a popular triple-driver, universal-fit monitor, the LiveWire's low end reproduction meets the E500's low end; the LiveWires exceed the E500 in high-end reproduction. The E500's midrange is thicker and a little more fluid, but considering the price difference, the LiveWires win."
etysmile.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNew007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) How comfortable is it? Do you experience any microphonics while walking or jogging?

Comfort is somewhat a personal thing, with customs there's a greater chance for comfort but with universal's there are so many tip options it should be possible to find something that balances comfort and sonics.

This brings up another point, the sound of a universal can be fine tuned with tip selection. Also you can resell a universal whereas a custom you can't.

Microphonics with the E500's aren't really a problem but be aware that due to bone conduction you will hear body movements such as footsteps with any IEM.

Quote:

2) What kind of music best suites the e500 (or vice versa)? I listen to alot of rock/trance so which would I like better?

I listen to just about everything with the E500, from classical to metal the E500's always seem to perform admirably.

Quote:

3) Is an amp necessary for the e500 to sound good? If so, what kind of budget would those amps fall into?

It not necessary to use an amp with the E500's. I often listen straight out of my iPod but due to their sensitivity the do pick up the noise of the headphone output. A decent amp will usually minimize or eliminate noise issues and not only that but the E500's scale nicely, adding a good amp can really increase the quality of sound. That's not to say that unamped they're bad, it just means there's an upgrade route built in.
wink.gif

Don't take my comments here as a put down on the Livewires, I haven't heard them but I have definitely considered them, no matter what tip I've used the E500's never truly disappear in my ear and I find myself having to adjust them more than I'd like. If getting the ear molds wasn't going to be so expensive here and possible hassles with fit I'd probably have a pair already.

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 18
e500 offer more sound wise. tighter less boomy lows and smoother forward mids, with rolled highs not for everybody.

the livewires are good but are flat sounding with nothing special to note soundwise, they are cheap customs and the result is not amazing sound to rave about.

customs are customs tho and in this day an age customs are top of the pile, but beware they probly wont last as long as universals because cheaper customs are often made of cheaper materials.

they wont be built to the same level as ue11's lets put it that way.

in general tho apart from some early cable problems the e500 are tough but again its not advised you throw them around.

overall, both are good but the e500 as expected are a step up in overall sound quality, but both are suited for different sources and music choice. the e500 are absolute stunners for rnb, reggae, rap/hip hop. but i would say livewires are better suited to classical and rock because of its flatter nature.

hope this helps, both are amazing
eggosmile.gif

Sep 26, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 18
also bear in mind applications such as rockbox for the ipod will eliminate hiss very good for e500, in fact im listening now and its non existent, making listening to classical and so on that much more better

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 18
The E500s are very good and can pretty much be an all around headphone. I just wish they had more presents in the highs for violin - but other than that, they are great.

Sep 27, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 18
My first pair of cans were e2cs...since then I have never looked back except for the e500s. There is so much positive talk about them on this forum that I was temped to get a pair...but ultimately decided on a set of livewires instead. This is because I was upgrading from um1s and was tired of universal monitors and the fit. The e500s look like they would be really comfy though..

Aside from that, the livewires are said to be very revealing, and sensitive, with punchy bass. Of course, it is still relatively new, and there hasn't been nearly as much talk about it as the e500 - there is a smaller population of members who own it. That being said, just think about what you want exactly, possibly better sound out of the e500s or possibly more comfort out of the livewires. Maybe that will help.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

How come?

and also, do livewires need amp?

No they don't. They are highly sensitive and are the best for portability.

The better the source and recorded material you use the more of a revelation the Livewires will become. Some people are going to be very surprised at what they can eventually squeeze out of these bargain phones. When I hear people Like Jinx2001 talk about the Livewires I know they haven't heard them at their best. Don't get me wrong, it's not that their ears are deceiving them...it's just their set up isn't right.

If you're going to use incompatible, or crap source and material....forget these and play safe by going for the e500's, because the Livewires will expose the flaws, and fatigue you in the long run.

These are great phones...no matter what music you throw at them, but they need careful use of EQ to get them to sing depending on the DAP you're using. Everyone's ears are different. There is a sweet spot where the Livewires become coherent, articulate, dynamic, and most importantly musical. You have to play around to find it though. I hear deep textured bass with clearly defined highs. Any deeper and the earth will split in two. There is air and presence, creating great ambience once you get the mix right.

These are the coolest looking...best bang-for-buck....cheap as chips, audiophile quality phones you're likely to buy right now. Just take a look at the build quality....these phone are worth twice the amount.
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

LOW END CUSTOM VS HIGH END UNIVERSAL

Anybody have an opinion? The only comparison I could find between the two is in this article http://homerecording.about.com/od/au.../livewires.htm

The reviewer states that E500 has the same amount of bass as livewires (strangely, considering e500 has 3 drivers and livewires only have 2)

when thinking of multiple-driver earphones, remember that quantity doesn't always equal exponential quantity of a particular frequency. having a frequency range spread out over a multiple driver configuration aids for better detail and intelligibility across the driver's respective frequency range. 2 bass drivers don't mean MORE bass, it means better quality bass, regardless of how it's tuned.

what's interesting is that, despite all these awesome multi-driver configurations, i still find the bass in the future sonics atrio m5's dynamic driver to beat in both quality and quantity. the rest of the frequency ranges vary greatly from earphone to earphone, but the m5's bass sets a standard i've yet to hear met in an armature-based earphone -- silky, smooth, strong, and deep.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 18
well since I already own an altec lansing im716, spending $150 just to get a m5 would not be very feasible.

kosmic, what do you mean by crappy source and material? My source is a cowon d2 and music files are encoded in mp3s. However I could re-rip them to flac if necessary.

Regarding what you said about EQing music, which band/frequencies are you talking about? Can't I just find a earphone that doesn't require EQing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back