"Live" sounding DAC??
Mar 25, 2012 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FoxSpirit

Head-Fier
Okay, here's the deal: recently I was to a local HiFi shop and he was set to demonstrate what you can do with a thousand bucks, using a 200 Euro turntable from ProJect.
And I must say, I was mighty, mighty impressed.
"No Sanctuary" rumbled and growled and gave off a great live feeling with incredible attack and pronounciation. It was smooth as butter but had this incredible punch and depth in sound.

He said no CD player he ever had makes this kind of live sound.

Now, I may be a young hotshot but I think that is reaching too far, old man. My Mini-I already does a great job but, can you do better in this department? And by better I mean clearly, not just a little. I don't care if it's the last word in neutrality and overdoes the attack a bit or brings out the most minute details, all I ask is for a smooth sound with great great live athmosphere.
Or is this kind of sound a "quirk" of the LP??

edit: or would I need better track quality, e.g. 24/96??

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Just down a shot or two of your spirit of choice before a listening session et voila! Live sound! From a lifeless, digital medium no less. :wink:

Your description of a signature is so subjective it's impossible to exactely understand what kind of sound you mean. It probably had more to do with the hi-fi dealers room acoustics too. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 6
The sound was so very clear and articulated... everything had a lot of snap and dynamics, just like from a real guitar amp. My system sound is a bit flat next to it, a nice repro but not this close to the real thing. It really sounded like it.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 6
So you're after digital sound that has the "life" of vinyl. You can get very, very good sound from digital but no matter how good it gets there's always something about vinyl that has what you describe. Even SACD or 24/96 recordings on a high end player which can sound great in every other area fall short of a good vinyl setup in this (hard to describe without experiencing it) aspect. Why this is I really don't know because if you take the vinyl and digitize it at 24/96 or above it largely retains this quality and that really makes no sense.

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #5 of 6
The appeal of vinyl depends to a large extent on tactile feel and the sense of involvement. You are not simply clicking a button to start a background activity.

You will find that if you record a vinyl track competently and play it back through the same system, adjusted for volume and tested blind, you will not be able to distinguish the recording from the 'live' original.

I couldn't anyway. This surprised me at first but I have repeated the test now on numerous occasions with a wide variety of subjects. Virtually everyone is certain they can tell the difference at first. They cannot do so in practise though.

24/96 is unnecessary. Really. It is. 

Apr 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
So you're after digital sound that has the "life" of vinyl. You can get very, very good sound from digital but no matter how good it gets there's always something about vinyl that has what you describe. Even SACD or 24/96 recordings on a high end player which can sound great in every other area fall short of a good vinyl setup in this (hard to describe without experiencing it) aspect. Why this is I really don't know because if you take the vinyl and digitize it at 24/96 or above it largely retains this quality and that really makes no sense.

That special certain quality has a name: nostalgia. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back