Live Shows, how good are they?
Jun 28, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #16 of 32
I really am a fan of studio music, but I have to say that the experience of seeing a band live is one that's a must. There's not very many concerts (good or bad quality) that I've not enjoyed the experience of.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #17 of 32
I also want to comment that in the world of balanced XLRs and big power supply amps, audiophile recordings, high end vacuum tubes, hign end solid states, etc...., it will never ever ever replicate the real thing...Ever!

Even a million dollar sound system will never be as good as living in the moment of a great musician performing live. The key is seeing a great performance on a good night. Those moments are special and can't be predicted. It's like a gamble. If you are lucky and catch that special moment in time, it's priceless brother!

chewie0ol.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #18 of 32
YMMV

Deep Purple is known to put on a pretty good show. I'm not really sure about McCartney though for as long as he's been doing it you'd think it would be pretty good.

Anyway, I've been to a ton of live shows this past year (upwards of 20). The energy of a good show is spectacular, but sound quality can vary considerably. An artist with a large catalog can also be rather unpredictable as to what they will play. I saw The Cure twice this last month and they played what they wanted regardless of the crowd reaction. For more than half of each show they played stuff that most of the crowd seemed very bored by. On the other hand, I've seen several bands that had the crowd on their feet and singing along the whole time. Do a little research and see what people are saying about the live shows of a band before you go.

Jun 29, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #20 of 32
Israel's breeding some nice jazz musicians of late. I'd say save your money and catch The 3 Cohens, Anat Fort or Omer Avital when they blow back in from NYC. And if you're not into jazz, well, shame on you.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBeanPaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good if you taking friends but its not worthwhile if your a fanboy going by yourself

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also want to comment that in the world of balanced XLRs and big power supply amps, audiophile recordings, high end vacuum tubes, hign end solid states, etc...., it will never ever ever replicate the real thing...Ever!

Even a million dollar sound system will never be as good as living in the moment of a great musician performing live. The key is seeing a great performance on a good night. Those moments are special and can't be predicted. It's like a gamble. If you are lucky and catch that special moment in time, it's priceless brother!

chewie0ol.gif

I'll take a CD any day over an arena concert with lousy acoustics, too high volume and 5000+ screaming fans. I'm happy CDs don't reproduce what I've heard at a lot of concerts. Now if the band plays at a moderate level and the audience shuts up and listens, I'll take it any day over a CD. Unfortunately, outside of classical concerts and a very few clubs, at least in the DC area, you can't get that.

A month ago, we went to an Ethiopian restaurant on a Friday night. They had live music played so loud that it made my ears ring. There was absolutely no reason for that. It actually sounded better in the parking lot through closed doors than it did in the dining room. Again, I'd much rather here a CD.

Jun 30, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 32
Yes. If you like the band then there is nothing like going to the show, maybe it's loud, maybe they don't play your favorite song, but it's really the only way to experience your favorite band especially if they are good live. If I were you, and had the cash, I would definitely go.

Tip: live tends to be much louder than needed and since all of us here are pretty into our ears (we only get one pair) you may want to look into some ear plugs to turn things down. THey are pretty cheap and good to have just in case.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #24 of 32
I will also take a CD over live shows. Being just 5 feet tall...they are waste to me if there is only general admission. Can't see a damn thing, craning my neck, and just miserably lost in a crowd.

For a small show..of course, there is nothing like it. Especially if the artist is good...

Jul 1, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #27 of 32
I disagree, pavilion events are like listening to the recording, I don't care much for them. I do like live shows, but live shows in a venue with 100-200 people where can you feel the energy and shake the musician's hands afterwards. If your going to listen to a PA system, why not just listen to the recording
confused.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 32
FWIW, I've seen Deep Purple 3 times— 1974, around 2001 (after Ted Nugent and before Lynyrd Skynyrd, aka "the filling in a white trash sandwich"), and last summer.

The current state of the band— no Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), no Jon Lord (keyboards), and perhaps not much voice left on Ian Gillan. (He was hard to hear last summer; don't know if he was worn down from touring or he's really losing it.) Steve Morse is a very skilled guitarist, but his style doesn't do it for me as a Blackmore replacement. 2001 (with Lord, no Blackmore) was pretty good, last summer was definitely a mixed bag. Take heed!
eek.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #30 of 32
The live experience is a must especially for some genres like jazz and blues. Especially, when they play in small clubs or venues.

However, I am not a fan of bands / musicians who just replicate CD versions of their songs live. Often, it gets a bit too sterile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back