Live Dead/Phish
May 11, 2010 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

bryanweiss

New Head-Fier
Any Deadheads/Phishheads like me out there?  I listen to live Dead and Phish concerts most of the time, from my iPod or laptop.  Wondering what headphones/amps you guys are using to pick up the many layers of music these concerts reveal? 

May 11, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 44
Hi! I listen to live music all the time -- I have about 1.5 TB of live GD, and 1 TB of everything else. My advice is completely dependent upon your budget... of course!

My personal preference for this kind of recording is a set of cans that emphasizes the mids, as that's where most of the music seems to be when you're talking about 40 year old SBD reels and/or 3rd gen copies of audience recordings made on a Nak Dragon with a funky battery setup. For that reason, I'd recommend Sennheisers at the low end of the cost spectrum, and perhaps a better Grado like a 325i or RS1 (especially if you prefer to rock out more than to mellow out). I'd personally stay away from AKG 70X and Beyer DT880/DT990-type headphones, as I've found that their accentuation of the highs can be very unpleasant with less than perfect sources -- that's just me, and I'm sure others feel very differently.

If I were starting from scratch... and I wanted to keep my investment limited... I would (a) make sure that all of my recordings were in a lossless format (no mp3 or the like), and (b) buy a pair of Sennheiser 595 or Grado 225is to use directly from my iPod or lapper and call it good. The improvement over lossy files and/or cheap earbuds/cans will be huge.

If I had a bit more cash on hand... I'd grab a combo DAC/AMP like an Audio-GD Fun and either a set of Sennheiser HD650 (for relaxing) or Grado RS1 (for the best you've ever heard Garcia's guitar sound). You'd be using only your laptop in this case, as the iPod forces you to use its own DAC (or one of a very few add-on pieces that bypass that DAC) -- which would make the DAC part of the Fun pointless.

If money less of an object... I'd buy a nice DAC like a Benchmark DAC1 or PS Audio DL3, a nice tube amp like a Mapletree Ear+ HD, and either the above-mentioned HD650s/RS1s or something even better.

Hope something in that helps...

May 11, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 44
I have tons of GD & Garcia concerts. Some are even done in 24 bit/96 khz. And you can hear the difference.

I put my system together by how it made the Grateful Dead and a whole bunch of classical and baroque music sound.

I listen through a meier stagedac, Lehmann audio Black Cube Linear and HD800s. When I listen to some of the old concerts it reminds me of what it sounded like when I was there, no mean feat, For example, some of the early 80s shows from the frost or berkley sound pretty close to how I remember the show sounding when I stood  near the front. Likewaise I have some garcia/saunders from The Keystone in '73 in 24/96 that recalls a sound that I hadn't heard in many, many years. I think its from the same run of shows that they made the album from. It sounds much better than the album.

Does this setup reveal flaws in the sources? of course. But also reveals all kinds of little things in the interplay between the jerry and the boys that I didn't here in other setups, while sounding like I think the band ought to sound. And nowadays you can get amazing sources off etree and other places and in some cases the sound rivals or betters some of the official releases.

This is a long winded way of saying that unlike the poster above I would get the best equipment you can afford. Personally, I don't like the grado sound. Many people think it is the ultimate in Rock & Roll, but I find it oddly colors the music. And I don't think Garcia's guitar sounds like i remember it sounding through Grados. You'll have to try it out for yourself. I do like the senn hd650 as well and it is more forgiving than the HD800 of source flaws.

I used to see phish quite a bit when they were still playing clubs, but kinda stopped seeing them after they hit it big. Anway, near as I can tell what i said about the dead applies to phish too.

For just the ipod or laptop situation, I think you could go with the senns listed above, quite nicely and that is a good start. For a bit more money, you might look into the Beyerdynamic t50p that is about to be released. I have to offer a big caveat: I haven't heard them yet. They are based on the same technology that their flagship T1 cans are based on, designed for portable, no amp use (although an amp will make them better). The the T1 was the closest I have heard to my precious HD800s and some Headfiers prefer the T1, I don't but I can see why they do. So I expect the t50p will be great for no amp situations. If you wait 3-4 weeks you will be able to hear what early adoptors at head-fi are saying.

If you want to spend a bit more, there are many inexpensive and ok sounding budget DAC amps. The poster above recommended the FUN which is probably a great choice, I own its predecessor the compass and think it was great for the dough spent. But there are some less expensive ones that are ok too. You can search the forums.

Enjoy the tunes and the long strange trip through head-fi.!

May 13, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 44
"Aural Bliss is Dark Star 9.21.72>Foobar> Wasapi>Meier StageDAC>Lehmann Audio BCL> HD800"

Being a total newbie to this, but fascinated when anyone tells me that I can achieve "aural bliss" from a 1972 version of "Dark Star", can you (or someone) please interpret this code for me?

Foobar?  What is that?
Wasapi?
Meier Stage DAC?  I get that that is a DAC - where would one buy such a thing?
Lehmann Audio BCL?

I do understand "HD800" = Sennheiser heaphones.  I use HD600s.

Thanks for helping me learn the lingo so that I too can achieve "aural bliss"

May 13, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 44

Quote:
This is a long winded way of saying that unlike the poster above I would get the best equipment you can afford.
Enjoy the tunes and the long strange trip through head-fi.!

This is the best advice you will get.  I probably listen to live GD about 20% of my listening time.  For me, it sounds best - on what sounds best!  Listening to the Eyes from 11-11-73 tight now on my Beyer T1's via the RSA Stealth - talk about aural bliss!  It's slap-your-mama good.

May 13, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 44

Quote:
This is the best advice you will get.  I probably listen to live GD about 20% of my listening time.  For me, it sounds best - on what sounds best!  Listening to the Eyes from 11-11-73 tight now on my Beyer T1's via the RSA Stealth - talk about aural bliss!  It's slap-your-mama good.

Dancin' in the Streets, 10-27-79, Cape Cod Coliseum for me at the moment, though it's on my Altec Lansings at work.

I've been a Head-Fi addict for about six months. My personal choice was to start modestly and work my way up to higher end gear. I could have afforded whatever I wanted at the very beginning, but I felt that I'd be missing something if I didn't explore all of the rungs leading up to true "aural bliss." I've probably spent more money than I otherwise would have, but it's been a great trip. Along these lines, the OP probably needs to figure out whether he's just interested in the best possible sound and wants to get the gear part of the equation out of the way, or if he's a hobbyist that wants to take a real interest in comparing various pieces of equipment of different quality and expense. To me, that's the first fundamental question one needs to ask when one starts coming around this place.  :)

If the OP already has Senn HD600s, then adding a DAC and amp are more important than new cans. Here's where the budget comes in. If you have $300, I'd probably suggest laptop > Audio-GD Fun DAC/amp > HD600. If you have $1000, then maybe laptop > PS Audio DL3 DAC > used Mapletree Ear+ HD tube amp. If you have more than that, then send me some.

To answer some questions. Foobar is a PC-based media player application. Meier StageDAC and Lehmann BCL (an amp) are relatively high-end components, probably more popular with our European friends than here in the states.

May 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 44
Thanks, all.  Just picked up a used Audio gd Compass DAC/amp this morning and learned all about Foobar from the seller while I was that. Seller recommended adding a tube amp (Little Dot?) down the road to really pump up the HD60s.

Excited to get home tonight and piece it all together and listen to Scarlet-Fire 5/8/77 Cornell. 

May 14, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 44
Sounds great! You are on your way to aural bliss! Let us know what you think about the compass/hd600s.

May 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 44

This new quoting setup is weird - I hate top-posting.  Anyway, nice comments in your message.  But I have to differ on the one below - Garcia through the RS1i sounds a lot like I remember from the late 60's and early 70's.  Problem is, there's no way to tell whether he sounded that way to anyone else because I was doing acid every time I saw them. 
beyersmile.png

Quote:
And I don't think Garcia's guitar sounds like i remember it sounding through Grados. You'll have to try it out for yourself. I do like the senn hd650 as well and it is more forgiving than the HD800 of source flaws.

May 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 44
Excellent purchase! I think Foobar > Compass > HD600 should sound great. You'll still have that mellow Sennheiser sound, but with more punch in the bottom and detail at the top.

Myself, I'm planning to enjoy Charlie Miller's new 24/96 source for 4-29-1971 on my HD650s tonight... along with a bit of single malt and a comfy chair, what more could you want?

May 14, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 44

Quote:

there's no way to tell whether he sounded that way to anyone else because I was doing acid every time I saw them. 
beyersmile.png

Guilty as charged!
eek.gif

May 14, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 44
I would be remiss if I did not mention that a small part of me chose the Audio gd Compass because of the "GD" in the product name (i.e., Grateful Dead).  Throw out all that scientific research. 

I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s, which I am told may pair better with the Compass. 

And, Olias, I am with you - 4-29-1971;HD650;single malt and a comfy chair - does not get much better than that

May 14, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 44
The more you spend on equipment, the more likely it will reveal more of the recording flaws.  This may take away from your enjoyment of the music. 

Many of the recording on archive.org are of suspect sound quality.  However, Rhino has been doing a great job of mastering, and most of their recordings will sound AMAZING on an excellent system.  In fact, when I play them on my 2 channel Sound Lab system, it sounds like you are at the show.  Many of the Dick's Picks sound pretty good also.

May 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #14 of 44

Quote:
Any Deadheads/Phishheads like me out there? 

Thanks for asking this question. I am trying to decide if i should have my AH-D2000's turned into LA2000 Lites or add a second set of cans. I already have jMoney Pads. 

Current set up is Desktop>WinAmp>NuForce HDP>D2000's.

I have a budget around $500 - $ 700. Any suggestions on whether to invest in the mod or add a second set of cans. I'm definitely trying to resit going to the darkside and becoming a full time hobbyist.
atsmile.gif

May 17, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #15 of 44

Quote:
This is the best advice you will get.  I probably listen to live GD about 20% of my listening time.  For me, it sounds best - on what sounds best!  
on my Beyer T1's via the RSA Stealth - talk about aural bliss!  It's slap-your-mama good.

I'm in the market for a closed phone. How does it sound on your Denon D7000; and your AT W1000X?  I'm not sure i can swing the T1's on top of a closed can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back