Live audience concert recordings
Jun 18, 2002 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RMSzero

500+ Head-Fier
There was a thread about these a while ago, and it was pretty fun. A lot of bands like the Dave Matthews Band (simply offered as an example) don't mind letting the audience tape their shows, and it can be pretty good stuff depending on the equipment used.

Certain types of music, and most especially certain artists, just appeal to me more live. Knowing that the music I'm hearing is exactly as one might hear it in an audience is even cooler.

I've started listening and hunting for these recordings over the past month or so, and it's really cool to hear them. Ben Folds is a fun guy giving a solo concert, and I particularly enjoy hearing jazz stuff like Herbie Hancock from the point of view of an audience member.

Anyone else like hearing these live tapings?

Jun 18, 2002 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 8
there's nothing like radiohead bootlegs i always say. my favorite tour was their europe-only "big tent" tour. small tents built at each city they went to and it made for a pretty intimate show. but i must agree, bootlegs can be seriously wonderful reguardless of quality (in my opinion).

Jun 19, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 8
I enjoy listening to the bootleg versions of concerts. Ecspecially the Pink Floyd ones.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 8
Some of the stuff I like is very discordant, distorted aggressive noise.

This stuff was meant to be played live, where the full body thump of the PA really drills the message into you. On CD, it just doesn't sound right. Live recordings really seem to capture the intensity of being there.

Jun 24, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 8
I tried in the past to share my joy for live recordings but was considered a threat to this site, so i'm not saying anything
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 24, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Sorry about my "bump" posting but I've had issues with trying to post a long message.
As a taper I am suprised that there is so little cross talk between tapers and audiophiles. There is an incredible community on the web of people dedicated to recording live performances of all genres. From Jazz to Metal, folk to punk, there are people out there taping performances to share with the world.
Possibly the most important tennant of the tape trading community is that tapes are distributed without a profit being made. NEVER BUY A BOOTLEG, IT IS ILLEGAL FOR SOMEONE TO PROFIT FROM ANOTHER'S COPYRIGHTED WORK. Bands that allow taping have realized that in the new music industry, real money is made by performing their music live not selling CDs. If their music is available freely, more people who enjoy a band's music will attend performances and thereby increase the take of the band!
The aspect of these recordings that I most enjoy is the dynamic interplay between performers and the crowd. Studio releases are often scrubbed clean of energy and enthusiasm while the demonstrate performers' abilities. Live recordings showcase the dynamic interaction of the crowd with the performers. All music was written to be performed for people to enjoy, why not record the music as it was intended the be enjoyed.
My $0.02....
Bobes

Jun 24, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Bobes
All music was written to be performed for people to enjoy, why not record the music as it was intended the be enjoyed.
My $0.02....
Bobes

Wait until you meet MacDEF, i agree with that you said, but being that hes a "legal eagle" he won't appreciate our stance on live recordings. Plus, it is a damn shame that most on here dont seem interested one bit in hearing some live recordings of their favorite artists. However the whole legal issue of whether or not we can tape and trade these recordings out has hit a nerve with folks being that the RIAA is out to sue everyone and their mother (all thanks to that person creation, napster).

On the other hand, bands like dave matthews encourage tapers and tradingm i've become accustomed to nancies.org lately which has a great community of traders on there. I recently acquired dave matthews band performance at Madison Square Garden on may 29 and i'm waiting for a few more shows, quite the friendly bunch over there. Click on my www button and you'll be taken to my site which has a wide selection of live recordings (sorry no samples). You'll see that i've been at this for some time.

I also agree that as more people hear a bands live performance the more likely they will be willing to go see them live. Personally, i love the idea of hearing a band rearranging a tune your so familiar with, plus the idea of hearing extended jams or improv really hits on a high for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back