Live albums/orchestra headphones
Nov 22, 2016 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Halonoonan

Head-Fier
I need your help with deciding on a new headphone + portable amp. I currently have a pair HE-400 and Vali amp  and DUNU 2000 IEMs and I'm looking for a new setup. I've been listening to a lot of live albums of various artists (of monsters and men, Dave Matthews and various rock/metal groups with orchestra albums).  I want something with good soundstage and clarity. I've been loooking at Beyer dt 880 with either ifi ican nano or cayin c5. 
Any thoughts or suggestions? I need portable amp because most of my listening is while moving around the house. 
Thanks

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 9
First off do the Sorbothane and grill mods to the 400's really good mods that are reversible really helps them. Last month heard the 880's for the first time. It was out of my Bottlehead Crack and they were quite nice. They were 250 ohm versions of that helps. They have better soundstage than the HD 650's or 600's out of said amp but I did like the sound of the 650's a bit more but that is meYMMV. If you want soundstage up the budget a bit and look into the HD 700's don't worry about the 6khz spike it only happens with very few songs. Super comfortable and detailed and great soundstage. Just my thoughts YMMV.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the help. Just came across the sorbothane mod recently and will do that. And eventually want to build a bottle head amp as well. I was thinking 880 over the hd 60/659 because the HE 400 are already a little dark and just wanted something a little different. Thanks again.

Nov 23, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the help. Just came across the sorbothane mod recently and will do that. And eventually want to build a bottle head amp as well. I was thinking 880 over the hd 60/659 because the HE 400 are already a little dark and just wanted something a little different. Thanks again.
Wow you think the HE-400's are dark sounding? You my friend need to have your hearing checked. They are far from dark. If you find them dark then by all means go for the HD-700's great detail and good soundstage and pretty sweet bass as well.

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 9
Maybe dark isn't the right word (I'm no audiophile), maybe less airy then other headphones I have heard. I love them for more bass heavy music but I'm looking for something for other genres.
I'll take a closer look at the hd700. Are they hard to drive? Could a portable amp do them justice?

Nov 23, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #7 of 9
Maybe dark isn't the right word (I'm no audiophile), maybe less airy then other headphones I have heard. I love them for more bass heavy music but I'm looking for something for other genres.
I'll take a closer look at the hd700. Are they hard to drive? Could a portable amp do them justice?
When you say dark that means they are very lacking in the high end frequency. If you don't think the highs are too much on the 400's then the HD-700's will take it to the next level in detail and soundstage. I would think a Fiio A5 or equivalent would be just fine. They aren't too hard to drive but power is always better IMO.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks again
When you say dark that means they are very lacking in the high end frequency. If you don't think the highs are too much on the 400's then the HD-700's will take it to the next level in detail and soundstage. I would think a Fiio A5 or equivalent would be just fine. They aren't too hard to drive but power is always better IMO.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Your more than welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back