Live album praise: Dire Straits - On The Night
Jan 17, 2006 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Inter

100+ Head-Fier
I recently rewatched the entire West Wing season 2 and in the season closer, at the very end of the episode, they play Brothers In Arms (I won't reveal what happens for those who have not yet seen my favourite television series).

Anyway, it got me thinking. I've never been much of a fan of Dire Straits, but I remember hearing a live cd of them on some Dali speakers about 12 years ago. When this memory popped into my head, I suddently remembered that I actually bought that album based on hearing it.

I scrambled through my cd collection and found the album after a while. I turned down the lights in my room, hooked up my HD650 to the Gilmore, flicked on the Marantz, put the album in and this HUGE roar of the audience filled the entire soundstage the HD650 can portray. Wow! I tend to marvel (and bask in!) exceptional live recordings.

This is such a recording.

Even if you are not a fan of Dire Straits, but a fan of sound and good music in general, I can heartily recommend this fantastic live cd. From the first roar of the audience, through Calling Elvis, the fantastic Walk of Life, to Romeo & Juliet and the impossibly beautiful album closer Brothers In Arms, it's just a triumph for sound engineers everywhere.

Other live recordings sounding this good I can count on one hand.

This post has no meaning except to portray my newfound love for this fantastic live album and some of the great Dire Straits songs it contain.

Do you have any of your own?

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 12
Tons.

Hendrix - South Saturn Delta - GREAT live recording.
Beatles - Bootlegs - Most of the ones I have are really well recorded.
Keith Jarret's live stuff as well.

If i think of another I'll update my post
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
"On The Night" is better when watched as a concert video. I may have to fire up the laserdisc player to spin my LD.....

It's available on DVD in Europe, no?

It was available on VHS, but if it's been released on DVD I don't know. I've never seen it.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inter
It was available on VHS, but if it's been released on DVD I don't know. I've never seen it.

Its available on DVD at amazon.com. I may just have to pick that up. this is one great cd.
MJ

Jan 21, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 12
I really like this disc, though I don't consider myself a big Dire Straits fan. It has a lot of energy and excitement.

The On the Night version of "Walk of Life" is, perhaps, one of the best live versions of any song.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 12
Maybe someday we'll get On The Night on BD. Video can be crappy just like on Alchemy BD, it's HD audio that I'm after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back