little help with cable covering..heatshrink?
Feb 28, 2006 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

quoteunquote

100+ Head-Fier
so i just bought these headphones from cantsleep.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165588

i'm a little concerned about the exposed cable. i have little to no DIY experience and i was wondering how difficult it would be to cover that up. since it's been modded before, i dont think it'd be too hard.

any suggestions? thanks in advance.

(by the way, whatdya think of em?
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 13
without ruining the other mods to the cable I see only one option. you will need to remove the earcups and desolder the leads going to the headphones (keep track of polarity). after that you can slide your heatshrink over the wires and use your heatgun on it. you must then resodler the leads and reattatch the cups

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Just a thought (don't try this until someone else chimes in!), but what about taking a long piece of adhesive heatshrink and slit it lengthwise like split loom? Heat the shrink and also pinch it where the cut is to bond it together again.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 13
I suppose it would work but not very well, it wouldnt hold up very well either.if at all possible just desolder and slide it over, it will look better and be stronger

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
I suppose it would work but not very well, it wouldnt hold up very well either.if at all possible just desolder and slide it over, it will look better and be stronger

Yep. Thats pretty much the only option I see.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 13
ehhhh..i knew it would require desoldering. i'm nervous. he said the earcups should be easy to take off..but like i said..i dont have really any soldering experience whatsoever.

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by quoteunquote
ehhhh..i knew it would require desoldering. i'm nervous. he said the earcups should be easy to take off..but like i said..i dont have really any soldering experience whatsoever.

Then find someone to do it for you. I would be more then happy to do it for you for the cost of shipping + whatever color heatshink you want.

-Alex-

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 13
Mar 1, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 13
they'll spin and wont give much strength to the wire + I thnk they would be real awkward hanging there, they'd slide and stuff

if you really want it done your going to need to desolder it. AK nicely offered, I can do the same for you, its about 10 minutes of work

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 13
The pink heatshrink on the mini rubs me the wrong way, I'd chop the mini off, slide off the tubing then you can get any sleeving you want up all the way to the cans, then put a new snazzier mini or whatever terminating it.

Mar 2, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by quoteunquote
so i just bought these headphones from cantsleep.

(by the way, whatdya think of em?
biggrin.gif
)

Those are erruuummmuuuhh, some of the most "unique" looking headphones Ive seen
orphsmile.gif

Is that like clear vinyl tubing? Wild, man. And the finishing touch is the pink on the mini.

Rip off the mini and redo everything, like mono said. If you're not real experienced, don't mess with soldering the transducers. Unless you can find somebody to do it, or send them to AKZip. I can vouch for his work, having seen and listened to it in person
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 13
had them sent to Alex. he's gonna hook me up.
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back