Little help!...Shure & Westone confusion.
Feb 22, 2009 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Eatshrots

Head-Fier
Alright, so my budget is up to $400. I want the best headphones possible. I have gone through Shure's e2c, e3c, e4c, and se530. I was in love with their warranty service and the quality of the audio they produced, especially the e4c and se530. I would generally send them in because of a torn wire. I've sent in the se530's about 4 times already. The last time I had ended up paying $157 to replace them, which is absurd. Now I'm really considering going for the Westone 3. I read about them about a year ago, and have been waiting since to try them. I'm not sure how their warranty service goes, and how long they will last me. I don't to get pinched 5 months from now where something goes wrong with them. I heard the Westone's will be better on the wire. Any advice on choosing the perfect portable headphone? Here is a picture to show you guys what I meant about the wire. http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k6...s/P1010048.jpg

Thanks in advance!!!

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 14
I've had the same issues with my Shure products, but I'm curious if you pull them out by the earpiece or the wire? The wire is a no no, just checking anyway. I think most people like the IE8 better than the Westone3 and seem to have less issues but I would probably say it's between those two.

Feb 22, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #3 of 14
I never pulled on anything. I believe it was the constant bending over and into the ear that gave way to the cracks on the wire. The IE8 do not seem as promising as the Westone. The wire looks to be the same as the Shure, while the Westones have a spiral on the wire, making it seem stronger. I also would love the same quality as what the Shures and Westone 3 provide, including sound isolation, but with a detachable cable. Also bear in mind my limit would be $400. Thanks!!

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 14
I also have gone through E2C, E3C, E4C and SE530 and I also had the cable split issue. The IE8 cable feels much better and it's detachable in addition. It's way more flexible and comfortable to wear. Also it's kevlar reinforced. Cable wise you would be very happy with the IE8. You could buy IE8 for about $250 from outside USA. But from what you seem to want the isolation from outside noise could be a problem for you. SE530's isolation level is noticeable better than IE8's.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 14
I am also interested in this. I have owned Shure E2 and E500. I liked the E2 so much I jumped in for the E500. The wire's plastic covering broke, so they were replaced. The replacement's wire broke as well, and now Shure wont replace them, despite supplying me with a substandard product.

The sad thing is that this is meant to be their flagship IEM.

I wont buy Shure again.

h

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 14
I've had both the SE530, which I sold only after 3 weeks to get the Westone 3.

However I had a cable problem (see links below) after 1.5 months - Westone offers 2 years warranty, and their customer service is EXCELLENT.

If I had to choose between the two again, I'd still go for the W3 in a heartbeat.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...3/#post5403147

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...3/#post5403951

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...ml#post5420338

And this, my original review after having the W3 for 5 days:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ml#post5106011

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 14
Wow - the OP's picture is pretty dramatic - much different than any "untwisting" issue. I have had no such issues with my almost 3 year old UM1 that are used daily and really not treated with much care - I toss them about quite a bit.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the replies guys. After seeing the pictures from music 4321, I'm beginning to worry about the Westones now =\. Does a separation in wire like that cause any problems to the audio? I don't feel like sending headphones in every several months.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 14
I've had my original pair of Westone 3s replaced for cable failure as well; mine failed at the y-junction, but I did have splitting in a couple spots elsewhere on the cable. My replacement pair has what appears to be the same cable, but it is not unraveling like my first one, so either it has to do with me handling the cable more gently or quality of manufacturing improving.

That being said, I ordered a pair of IE8s from the UK and am awaiting their arrival, so I will be one of the few who can give you a direct comparison in every way between the two, after some time (will need to give the IE8s a fair break-in period. The Westone 3s don't need significant break-in).

-Ed

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eatshrots /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replies guys. After seeing the pictures from music 4321, I'm beginning to worry about the Westones now =\. Does a separation in wire like that cause any problems to the audio? I don't feel like sending headphones in every several months.

There was absolutely no problem with the sound at all, but the cable separation just started to get gradually worse, so I decided to contact Westone.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 14
It's interesting to observe all the cable issues with the top tier IEMs. Shure's problems (well-documented), UE's apparent customer service issues since Logitech's acquisition and slow cable replacement issues, and now Westone's 3 cable unwinding.

I have the 530 (actually original 500, knock on wood) and the Triple.fi, but have been very fortunate so far, although I did have a cable issue replaced under warranty for my E4c. My Westone UM2 and Shure E5c are still going strong though well after two years of heavy use. And I still use my (replaced) E4c at work regularly.

That said, I have preferred the Triple.fi over the Shures due to the sound signature of the UE (to me, better bass, and airy delicate extended treble, but lacking the Shure signature midrange). I have not had fit issues with any UE or other IEM, and I have small ears.

I am also evaluating the Monster Turbines (US$150), and have been amazed with these in how they compare with the Shures and UEs. Dynamic driver delivering great bass, super midrange and treble, good isolation, and great build quality so far. Could be a way to save some money short-term (it's always short-term savings on Head-fi...). Dynamics (Senn IEx included) are vastly improved over the past year, and worth a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back