Little help for a noob appreciated... Closed HP choice
Mar 1, 2012 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AfricanHunter

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, really great community you have here. 

So I am a total headphone (and to a large extent audio) noob and am just starting to piece together some quality kit. I am the type of guy who wants to buy the best of something once instead of upgrading every few months and am trying to fill in a few areas in my audio repertoire.

First purchase was a set of universal iem's and ended up with a pair of SM3v2's en route largely based on the impressions written here.

I am now on the hunt for an excellent pair of closed, over ear phones to use at work and traveling(long overseas flights, etc)

Have zeroed in on the Sony z1000's as my current pick and wanted to ask if there is anything else I should look at before pulling the trigger. Main concern s on the sony's is long session comfort as it appears the cup is a bit cramped and shallow which has led to pressure point issues with some reviewers. While I'm not sure if my ears are larger than average, I do have a fair sized melon and imagine the two would correlate somehow. Can anyone comment? Sucks to have painful ears on a 12 hour flight!

What Iike from what I have read is;

- not much need for an amp (less crap being carried is better in my application)
- very good isolation so wont bug neighbors
- sound sig seems very well liked and similar to the sm3 (but as I am just going on what I think I like in a sound versus a trained experienced ear kinda conjecture).
- not huge so portable
- subdued styling (though I could go for an elegant wood cup)

Any input and/or advice would be very much appreciated. Call price range anything roughly around 2k or less.

TL:DR; what other phones should I be looking at besides the z1000 that are sub 2k, comfy, portable and closed. Also no amp required.

Thanks for the assistance. 

Josh

Ps- next step will be open or electrostats...

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 15
Oh, and I typically listen to classic rock (led zepp, hendrix, floyd, the dead, etc), punkish stuff like misfits, reggae, rock like mettalica and older danzig plus some classical. 

Thx!

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 15
This should give you an idea of some other options. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/557818/looking-for-quality-closed-headphones-under-1-000

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 15
If it is your first headphone start of with a cheap PX200 II and try some others in the mean time until you find your headphone...

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
If it is your first headphone start of with a cheap PX200 II and try some others in the mean time until you find your headphone...

"I am the type of guy who wants to buy the best of something once instead of upgrading every few months"

"long overseas flights"

=)

For a 'starter' headphone I'd recommend the SRH-940 or some kind of closed Audio Technica, but a lot of people just want the top model in a single shot, we don't see them very often since they don't sign up on head-fi hehe. =)

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 15
I understand. Thing is, the PX200 II is a hell of a lot headphone for such a small thing. Even if you end up keeping it as a back up, it is one of the best cheap back ups you can find. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 15
Check the Z1000-thread, ask a few Z1000 owners why they like their Z1000 and how it compares to their other headphones and voila: you have your answers. Just read through the thread and you might get something of a clue...

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 15

Thanks for the help everyone.
Quote:
Check the Z1000-thread, ask a few Z1000 owners why they like their Z1000 and how it compares to their other headphones and voila: you have your answers. Just read through the thread and you might get something of a clue...

Why hello there Mr completely unhelpful forum guy! Thanks for your informative and extremely helpful post. Why didnt I think of that! I mean, it's not like I already read through that entire thread or anything. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back