Little funny - Wife/headphone(s) mini story
Jan 4, 2007 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

macm75

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure plenty of you can appreciate this...
So I'm building a stax amp while I'm waiting for the 303's, sold my only current headphones on ebay and minutes after the sale scored a pair of K501's on ebay. I tell my wife I did something a little "crazy" and bought these good headphones for a good price and of course she knows why I've been in the basement for the past week (stax amp build).
Anyway the punchline... she asks "why do you need two pair of headphones?" :)
Yeah, standard line but still classic.
Share your wife stories Please :)

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 45
my girlfriend is now the happy owner of some HD600 which she thinks are glorious from my Heed Canamp; needless to say we get along quite well. But along with what the previous poster said, I have heard also "why do you need two headphones"? and that was by a recording/mixing artist and musician who owns the presonus central station and some decent (forget the brand) speakers and listens to nothing beside alac...

headphonies and speakies are different types i guess!

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 45
Story 1: Our first anniversary is approaching and I'm going crazy trying to source the perfect gift. I come up with something stellar, just stellar and I'm really excited for the day to arrive. That day, I get nothing...not even a post-it from her. Meanwhile I have provided the last ring in the set of custom rings (engagment, wedding, anniversary band) and it had been agreed that said band would be given circa 5 year maybe 10, because it was gonna cost LARGE. I took her to the only internationally rated 5 star restaurant in the city and had night booked at a Chateau. She was so depressed about forgetting/not planning for our anniversary she let me buy an RA-1 and an RS-1 that year.

Story 2: Early the following year, the Shanling was on the horizon and I really wanted one. She noted that my RA-1/RS-1 combo was dramatically under combined with my little PCDP, so she bought me the Shanling. She so supports me in this hobby. The catch was that at this point, now that I had the RS-1's, she wanted the SR60's. DEAL! Now she is a bigger Grado fan than I am! No joke!

Story 3: The next year, having been married now 2.5 years or so, my wife decided to take up the violin, which had been a long time dream of hers. I bought her a nice violin, she began to practice, it sounded like starving rodents devouring a fleet of cats. I was in hell and I suggested Etys. She agreed this was likely for the best, it was not "for the best" it was a necessity! Regardless...set of phones number 2!

Story 4: I had been reading about TT's, window shopping at vinyl shoppes and all around lusting after this area of the hobby. One day, my wife turns to me, and says: "instead of hankering after one, why don't you just buy one already, I think vinyl is sexy!"

Heh, thanks honey, CA-CHING in more ways than one!

Story 5: After 6 years of marriage and two children, I had not had a decent sleep at home. The best sleep is when I'm at a hotel on business. This past summer I was at the end of my rope, sleeping on the couch most nights, completely exhausted trying to sleep through snoring, horrible tossing/squirming/yelps/crying etc. Before I was married I would fall asleep to music every night and I would sleep like a baby. I get married, my wife hates music and I lose out on 6 years of rest. She blamed the tossing on a poor bed. So I go out and buy the top of the line tempurpedic + sleigh bed frame. No go, one year later and still sleep hell. Baby comes along, sleeps in our room and between the snoring and the baby yelps/crying, I decide to pack it in. Finally, I tell her we should get separate beds...no separate rooms, so when I do try to sleep a few hours, I can get a few hours. She pleads and asks if there is an alternative (the tempurpedic mattress essentially eliminated the tossing problems but that snoring! and the baby!). I tell her new IEM's ones that I could sleep on would do the trick. UM2's arrive! I sleep once again!

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Story 1: Our first anniversary is approaching and I'm going crazy trying to source the perfect gift. I come up with something stellar, just stellar and I'm really excited for the day to arrive. That day, I get nothing...not even a post-it from her. Meanwhile I have provided the last ring in the set of custom rings (engagment, wedding, anniversary band) and it had been agreed that said band would be given circa 5 year maybe 10, because it was gonna cost LARGE. I took her to the only internationally rated 5 star restaurant in the city and had night booked at a Chateau. She was so depressed about forgetting/not planning for our anniversary she let me buy an RA-1 and an RS-1 that year.

She let you? You buy a "LARGE" anniversary band and she needs to "let" you buy some stuff you enjoy. Wonderful.

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 45
Well, that was the gateway into a spending spree that is nothing but a downward spirl into wallet pain
biggrin.gif
So I discussed it with her (the RA-1, she asked what I wanted for my anniverary present and I told her the RA-1). Once I had it...I figured the SR60's were a little beneath it and a reliable guy on Headwize/Head-fi who didn't live too far from me was selling the RS-1's and I had been eying them for 4 years. My wife said I could go for it. After dropping the cash on the anniversary and the amp, I definitely needed to ask to spend a bit more money. Since she was the major bread winner that year, asking (or rather discussing) was the only way to fly.

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #6 of 45
It started with books. I would purchase books and read them (still do). She says, "Why don't you go to the library, you have so many books" I say, "I don't go to bars and I don't gamble", "but why do you buy books", I tell her, "when we go to dinner, you have two glasses of wine, twenty minutes later, boom, $12.00 down the toilet" I still have my book to enjoy for 12-16 more hours, to keep, sell, trade, or share. She says, OK point made.
Now comes the audio, "why do you need two headphones?", "because I don't have a boat", "Why do you need an amplifier for the headphones", "Because I don't have a Harley", she finally gave up. She asked me what I want for Christmas this year, "I would really like a Cambridge Model Twelve transportable sound system" boom, that's what she gave me
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

She loves me.
wink.gif
or she doesn't want me to get a boat and a Harley
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 45
I told my girlfriend I ordered an amp yesterday...

"Why do you need a headphone amp?"

"Because you got me HD595s for xmas."
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 45
My girlfriend asked me, "How come you have so many headphones?"

I reply, "Why do you have so many purses?"

Problem relieved.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #9 of 45
Love 'em all. Thanks.
Now (47 mins after midnight) my wife is calling down the chimney to get me off this Head-Fi site and go to bed.
Oh come on - just one more post!!

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 45
ok, so I'm new to head-fi and am in buying-mode.

Wifey asks what I'm looking at on the computer (perusing headfi reviews/pics off course).
"Come spend time with your new baby", she says.
"You spend all your time on comps at work and you come home to do the same.."

:| "But honey, that's work and.." as I shuffle off to play with the little bub.

The next thing is I find her on the net perusing baby stuff/accessories.
Yeah right. Ah well.. at least it'll help curb my audio spending spree.
k_

aside:
umm.. Massive Attack Collected from the comp -> Tomahawk (hi gain) -> KSC-75
sounds rather good. Much better than the LDM+

Jan 4, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Story 2: Early the following year, the Shanling was on the horizon and I really wanted one. She noted that my RA-1/RS-1 combo was dramatically under combined with my little PCDP, so she bought me the Shanling. She so supports me in this hobby. The catch was that at this point, now that I had the RS-1's, she wanted the SR60's. DEAL! Now she is a bigger Grado fan than I am! No joke!

Story 3: The next year, having been married now 2.5 years or so, my wife decided to take up the violin, which had been a long time dream of hers. I bought her a nice violin, she began to practice, it sounded like starving rodents devouring a fleet of cats. I was in hell and I suggested Etys. She agreed this was likely for the best, it was not "for the best" it was a necessity! Regardless...set of phones number 2!

Story 4: I had been reading about TT's, window shopping at vinyl shoppes and all around lusting after this area of the hobby. One day, my wife turns to me, and says: "instead of hankering after one, why don't you just buy one already, I think vinyl is sexy!"

Heh, thanks honey, CA-CHING in more ways than one!

Story 5: After 6 years of marriage and two children, I had not had a decent sleep at home. The best sleep is when I'm at a hotel on business. This past summer I was at the end of my rope, sleeping on the couch most nights, completely exhausted trying to sleep through snoring, horrible tossing/squirming/yelps/crying etc. Before I was married I would fall asleep to music every night and I would sleep like a baby. I get married, my wife hates music and I lose out on 6 years of rest. She blamed the tossing on a poor bed. So I go out and buy the top of the line tempurpedic + sleigh bed frame. No go, one year later and still sleep hell. Baby comes along, sleeps in our room and between the snoring and the baby yelps/crying, I decide to pack it in. Finally, I tell her we should get separate beds...no separate rooms, so when I do try to sleep a few hours, I can get a few hours. She pleads and asks if there is an alternative (the tempurpedic mattress essentially eliminated the tossing problems but that snoring! and the baby!). I tell her new IEM's ones that I could sleep on would do the trick. UM2's arrive! I sleep once again!

Now that is about as true as love gets for a couple in which one has a crazy hobby, and the other is just crazy.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 45
"Why did you spend $200 on headphones?"
"Because I could"
"I still don't understand why you couldn't have spent it on me instead."
"I don't understand why you need a new purse every month."

Jan 4, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 45
lovely story from Zanth! Man, my girlfriend just never appreciates my hobby
confused.gif

Guess what, she nags when i spend time in front of my PC with my Sr80 on my head, and she nags more when i browse through audiophile sites like Headfi. And worse still, she will threaten to scratch my SR80 when she's really angry with me.

She's a singer herself, and she likes music the way it was sang, not the way it was heard. She loves how my SR80 sounds when paired with the LD2+, but she just ain't supportive on my hobby
frown.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

I bought her a nice violin, she began to practice, it sounded like starving rodents devouring a fleet of cats.

tongue.gif
ROTFL !
It will become better in the course of time - a single violin can be a really nice thing if the player has at least some skill...my wife unfortunally gave up her violin after becoming an eternal mum - and she had been good!

After all, she's still the one with the "golden ears", so every time I don't get to the point in which respect my new Beyer XYZ differs from the Koss XYZ, she'll formulate it suitably. But she doesn't really care for cans though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back