Little Dot power tubes
Jan 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ThePirate

New Head-Fier
I am in the  process of acquiring  a Little Dot Mk 2 and have  a question. I found good information  on driver tubes but nothing regarding  power tubes.  Can the power tubes be switched?  If so, some practical info would be received gratefully .. I am newbie in case this  is redundant ........... 

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePirate /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can the power tubes be switched?  If so, some practical info would be received gratefully

If you just mean switching them out for a different brand that you can trust more than a cheap tube from China, yes, it can be switched out, just mind the variance in some tubes' specs as in some cases there are differences from one brand model to another. AFAIK, none would actually blow the amp, but in some cases you get some differences in sound.

If you're referring to using a totally different kind of tube, you're going to have to get that kind of info from Little Dot.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePirate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!
I am trying to replace stock tubes with something sounding better, not trying crazed experiment.  Any pointers?  

Look for what kind the tubes are first, it should be on the manual or the PCB on the Little Dot, or ask in the Little Dot thread/s here, just search for the one for your amp. Then go and get Mullard, Tungsol, or Amperex from a reputable online dealer. I cannot stress enough how important that last detail is because if you just bought it form a random seller on eBay you risk getting tubes that aren't matched pairs, at minimum, if not a or both already close to the end of their service life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back