Little Dot MKVII with AKG K701's Balanced?
Dec 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Bowedtoothdoc

100+ Head-Fier
I am considering this Amp for my AKG's and just wondering if anyone has this setup or has auditioned it? Also this amp has a single 4 pin output and was wondering how to recable the AKG's or if there is an adapter?
Thanks,

Dec 26, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 29
I have this setup and am very pleased with it.

An adapter would defeat the purpose of balancing the headphones. You will have to either recable or reterminate them. I would recommend the latter, as these phones are a pain in the ass to recable. Reterminating is easy. Find yourself a nice 4 pin male xlr plug, clip off the stock plug and solder the wires on to the appropriate xlr pins. There is a thread around here somewhere with the color scheme for the K701 wires...

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should have asked whether you have a balanced source to feed the amp, or not?

I already have the LD DAC 1 on order as well as a LD MKIII, but after researching the forums here I think the MKVII may be a better match for the 701's? Just looking for some input? Nothing has shipped yet.

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 29
Thanks Guys,
I just sent David an email to see if he can change the order to the MKVII. It's weird because the Little Dot website has been down for some time and I wasn't even aware of the existence of the MKVII until today. It will show up on EBAY, but the listings have all expired? OK, I just got info from David.

The Little Dot MK VII is still produced, however is currently not available due to a specific IC part shortage. We are unsure when this IC will become available again but we are tentatively looking at a month or so.

Best Regards,
David

I guess I'll go ahead with the MKIII for now and I can always return it or maybe keep it and get the MKVII when it comes available for comparison?

Dec 27, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 29
If you want to reterminate the cable youself, which I would recommend because it's cheap and easy, let me know. I'm having trouble searching for the wire color scheme online. I still have my stock cable, so I can meter it and tell you exactly which wire goes to which pin.

Joel

Dec 27, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

David,

If you want to reterminate the cable youself, which I would recommend because it's cheap and easy, let me know. I'm having trouble searching for the wire color scheme online. I still have my stock cable, so I can meter it and tell you exactly which wire goes to which pin.

Joel

Thanks Joel,
Actually David is the Little Dot seller on EBAY, but I appreciate your help.
Based on what David said above, I am going to go ahead and get the MKIII for now and consider the MKVII when it comes available. I would be curious as to the differences between the two amps driving the 701's? Tube vs SS?
Maybe some have tried both as the 701's are widely used?

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowedtoothdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Guys,
I just sent David an email to see if he can change the order to the MKVII. It's weird because the Little Dot website has been down for some time and I wasn't even aware of the existence of the MKVII until today. It will show up on EBAY, but the listings have all expired? OK, I just got info from David.

The Little Dot MK VII is still produced, however is currently not available due to a specific IC part shortage. We are unsure when this IC will become available again but we are tentatively looking at a month or so.

Best Regards,
David

I guess I'll go ahead with the MKIII for now and I can always return it or maybe keep it and get the MKVII when it comes available for comparison?

It is worth the wait if you can hold out.

Dec 27, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

David,

Joel

Joel,
I have been searching on how to reterminate the cable for use with the MKVII and have been unable to find anything. It is my understanding that in order to make the 701's balanced one has to send two wires to each speaker, so it would not be quite as simple as reterminating. The stock cable would need to be completely replaced as it only contains 3 wires? Still unsure of this. Also the MKVII uses a single 4 pin XLR connection as opposed to the dual 3 pins which seem to be more common. Does anyone have a link to purchase a 4 pin XLR male for use with the LD MKVII?

Dec 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #13 of 29
The stock cable has 4 wires right back to the plug. It's set to go balanced with a retermination.

markertek
^Those are the 4-pin xlrs I use. You'll want the male. Are you in the States? If not you may have to look elsewhere as markertek has a minimum purchase for international.

I'll make up some instructions for you asap. I'm at work now, so I can't test the stock cable.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

The stock cable has 4 wires right back to the plug. It's set to go balanced with a retermination.

markertek
^Those are the 4-pin xlrs I use. You'll want the male. Are you in the States? If not you may have to look elsewhere as markertek has a minimum purchase for international.

I'll make up some instructions for you asap. I'm at work now, so I can't test the stock cable.

Looking forward to this, I'll be getting the MKVII very soon
happy_face1.gif

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 29
Hey Joel,
That's great news and I am in the USA! No hurry on the instructions as it looks as if it may be a while before I can get my hands on a MKVII. David at Little Dot is going to let me know as soon as they come available.
Thanks Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back