Little Dot MKIV SE tube rolling advice
May 18, 2009 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Philski

100+ Head-Fier
I might have become a bit spoiled with my desktop set-up, which consists of a Pico DAC/amp -> Earmax Silver Edition -> K701, a really lovely combination. However, my 'other room' set-up is iMod -> ALO V-Cap Dock -> Little Dot MKIV SE -> K701, and by comparison, it sounds rather more forward and somewhat 'in your face'.

So, I'm wondering whether I should venture into the murky world of tube rolling to rectify this. I am a total beginner when it comes to tube rolling, so please bear that in mind (I haven't a clue which are the power tubes and which are the drivers, or if I have even got that right...)! What I'm looking for is tubes that will give me a more laid back and lush sound; don't know about budget, so perhaps ignore that for now. I know some people might blame the K701s for the sound I am getting from the LD, but I get the performance I have mentioned from my Earmax SE, so for now I'm blaming the stock LD tubes that I'm using!

May 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 10
If you feel the MKIV SE is pretty neutral, I agree. I haven't rolled in other tubes so I can't tell you how much of a difference they will make (though I can tell how a bad tube sound
tongue.gif
). I am interested in seeing what kind of answers I will find here by more experienced members.
Okay now what I know. The MKIV SE already comes with pretty good tubes. I had to replace one and they are also not really cheap. They seem like a good choice already and I know the better tubes the MKIV SE can use are expensive. So maybe it is better to change your amp completely or get something like Sennheiser headphones?

May 18, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 10
I have heard the 701 plays best on a good SS amp.

however, the LD VI with Mullard EF92's will give you a fuller sound than the stock M8100's. for the rear power tubes, you can stick with the current stock tubes. the -DR version is better, but won't change the signature of the sound that you don't like ATM

May 19, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for that. When researching, what am I looking for in order to identify tubes that are compatible with the LD MKIV? You mentioned Mullard EF92 - am I looking for tubes with EF92 in their description?

May 19, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 10
There are some good quality WE403 tubes with very nice balanced sounding; the best sound I found is a pair of '43 TungSol 6AK5, only they have microphonics. I am going to buy a pair of damper and see how it can be improved. I can forgive this shortcomings to exchange such good sounding. The default driver tubes of LD VI SE are a pair of Mullard M4010 already. The EF92 is a family of tubes includes Mullard M4010, or American's 6AK5 series tubes. There are lot of options outside.

May 19, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you feel the MKIV SE is pretty neutral, I agree. I haven't rolled in other tubes so I can't tell you how much of a difference they will make (though I can tell how a bad tube sound
tongue.gif
). I am interested in seeing what kind of answers I will find here by more experienced members.
Okay now what I know. The MKIV SE already comes with pretty good tubes. I had to replace one and they are also not really cheap. They seem like a good choice already and I know the better tubes the MKIV SE can use are expensive. So maybe it is better to change your amp completely or get something like Sennheiser headphones?

Where did you order yours from apatn?

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 10
Hello Philski,

I just got my LD MK IV SE today, I thing is great.

I would like to buy a set of Driver & Power tubes as spare just in case.

I know you have been researching this latelly.

Can I have your advise please.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #8 of 10
Grab a pair of chinese 6J1, the EF95 comptible stock tubes on lesser amps, it'll take that K701 edge right off, and being the bass weak phones i hear they are, the EF92 would probably give you more of what you try to avoid.
i would suggest EF91 mullards, wasn't it for other k701 users reporting distortion with ( funny thing is they come in as one of the tubes with least distortion of all the tubes i have)

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 10
Can anyone tell how can I switch the jumpers for tubes type without opening the case of little dot mkiv ? Of course there are holes under the case but it is so difficult to grab the jumper...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back