Little-Dot MKIV SE for Senn 650s
Sep 27, 2009 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

zodiacrat

New Head-Fier
A while back I bought a pair of Sennheiser 650's and after seeing all the recommendations on this forum I have decided to buy an amp to go with them.

After looking through all the other million posts [I used the search function I promise
smily_headphones1.gif
] on what amps go well with the 650s I think I have decided to go with the Little-Dot MKIV SE.

I'm sure you can guess by my one post count that I don't really know what I'm doing, so at the risk of creating yet another Senn 650 + amp thread I have some questions.

I've never owned a tube amp, though I have listened to a few, and I really would like to try one out, but I am wondering that if in this price range, are you just paying for the tubes or can I get a nicer sounding SS or hybrid for the same price?

I've looked around, but I cannot seem to find much of a definitive answer on how often you have to replace the tubes. Do you have to replace them all at once?

Also, my source at the moment kind of sucks, but I assume that I am better off getting an amp first and getting a nice DAC latter, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Finally, a lot of the reviews and posts I found for the MKIV were from a year or two ago. Has something new come out that might be better for me that I may have missed?

Thanks for the help.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 18
Wow...First post and over a year on....
beerchug.gif

The MKIVSE is a great match for the HD650s. I only roll in the driver tubes (small ones), have never tried changing the power tubes.
LD has come out with a couple of more amps- LDMKVII (solid state, balanced and single ended) and the MKVI (tube, single-ended and balanced)..

It all depends what you want.

EDIT: What is your source now?

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 18
One of the Little Dot MK IVSE were reviewed with the HD650. From the thread, it seems like this is a great match, and I myself am hoping to get the MK IV or MK IV SE with the HD650. I can't help you much as my experience is...well nonexistent as far as it comes to with amps and cans. But I was recommended a Logitech Squeezebox for a source, since all of my music is stored on my DAP or computer. The Squeezebox has a decent DAC and streams music via wifi from your computer. You can hook the Squeezebox up to an amp through its digital/coax outputs.

Quick question, not intending to get too off topic, but how big are the audible differences between the MK IV and MK IV SE?

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioChinook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you recommend the LD Mark V? It's solid state also. Has the VII superseded it? There's a Mark V from an ebay seller or $310, including shipping...

Hello AC

The reason I did not recommend the MKV is because I thought he was aware of the MKV, coming out shortly after the MKIVSE and he wanted to know about the later releases. Another reason is, I have not heard it. I own the MKIVSE and the MKVII and can attest that either one will drive the HD650s very well. The MKVII is a beast with lots of power and also balanced, however, sounds great single ended too. If he ever wants to try balanced, he's halfway there.

I do not own the MKVI yet, but plans are in the works...
icon10.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 18
I believe the MKV is known to be just a little bit short on power when pushing high-ohm headphones, and there are quite a few people who find that the 650's need lots of power to sound their best, even at moderate volume. I can personally vouch for the vanilla MKIV with the 650's, very nice combo, especially for the money. The 'tubey-ness' isn't overdone either, so it's a pretty safe bet.

Not really sure if the SE is worth it or not. If you're going to be serious about tube-rolling, the price difference is basically what the SE's power tubes seem to cost open-market, plus you get a few other odds and ends as well, so that could make it a good deal.

And yeah, LD's customer service is highly recommended.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioChinook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you recommend the LD Mark V? It's solid state also. Has the VII superseded it? There's a Mark V from an ebay seller or $310, including shipping...

Because he wasn't asking about that. Besides I don't know what he wants out of a Amp.

I also have a Woo WA6SE maxxed and I have that paired with my Senn HD-800s, but I didn't recommend that either.
Everybody has opinions, but when you are getting into something as specialized as a Tube headphone amp imo the best you can do is link and talk about the quality and service of the company.

ss

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodiacrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, a lot of the reviews and posts I found for the MKIV were from a year or two ago. Has something new come out that might be better for me that I may have missed?

I haven't heard of any new tube amps in the MKIV SE's price range.

This is a superb amp, and not just for high impedance Senns.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard of any new tube amps in the MKIV SE's price range.

This is a superb amp, and not just for high impedance Senns.

Thats right. The MKIVSE powered my HD-800s. I had to crank it up to almost 100% volume.

ss

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #13 of 18
The LD MK IV SE is a great tube amp for the price. You can roll the drivers which would cost about $20 for a matched pair, and experience the difference. It's a nice amp for the HD650's. However with the MKVII you can go balanced, which is an excellent option.
For SS MK VII, for tubes MK IV SE, or MK VI if you can strech a bit.
Dave's support is great!

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 18
Don't know about the SE but the IV is a great match for the 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back