Little Dot MKIII with Grados
Jan 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't own, nor have i heard, that combo - but i did recently ask a very similar question:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/otl...grados-468335/

The consensus seems to be that amps like the MKIII may sometimes "synergise" with low impedance cans like grados, but there are very valid technical reasons why it is not as good an idea as, say, a solid state, hybrid or transformer-coupled amp. It comes down to current supply, which low impedance cans need. Then again, many people seem to have very successful pairings.

Jan 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bassboysam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here own this combo? What are your thoughts? I am looking into getting an entry level tube amp, and wondering how this combo would work. I have SR80i and SR225i.

thanks

I'm using it with Grado HF-2's and SR-80's. Personally, I love the sound. I have to admit though the only other full size Amp I've listened to these with is the Heed canamp ss. There seems to be more power with the canamp, and the bass seems tighter and smoother with it. However, there is something about the tube amp that keeps bringing me back. I say you can't really go wrong to get started that way. Good luck

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 11
I've had the LD1+. MKIII and MKIV and with my Grado 80 and 225's I'd pick the LD1+ for the best synergy. Its cheaper, has more tube options for rolling, and just sounds better IMO. Do a search for the LD1+ and you'll read that most ppl love them with their Grados.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #5 of 11
thanks for the responses guys.

Another noob question for you though. For use with an ipod should I have some sort of DAC between the ipod and the Little Dot? Would a dock connector to RCA cable be enough? I have the Pro-Ject ipod dock would that be sufficient?

thanks

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 11
I love my MKIII with my SR-225s!

You are not going to be able to use an external DAC for your iPod. A LOD or your Pro-Ject dock will be sufficient.

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 11
Yup, the Little Dot I+. You can't go wrong. It's cheap and it is a hybrid, so has the current of a SS going to the headphones, but that lovely warm tube sound that sound wonderful with Grado's.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 11
Yeah...listening to my LD MK III with groove tubes and my Grado SR60i are quite nice. I can only imagine how much better they'd sound with SR225s.

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 11
I have both MKIII and LD I+. I specifically bought the LDI+ last month to match with my 325is (and Denons) although admittedly the MKIII sounded great with the Grados. The I+ gives me in my opinion a better matched amp plus I am able to use all of the tubes I have accumulated with both. If you are looking specifically for an amp for the Grados - go with the I+. Much cheaper, excellent performance and a great product. If you think you may own some different phones later (i.e. Senns or a higher impedance can) the MKIII could be good for both.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Yeah I see that the MK1+ is a better "fit" for low impedance cans however I am not a fan of hybrid amps. I want an all tube amp, and I believe all the tube sound comes from the power section of the amplifier. Tube pre with a solid state power section has never done it for me.

I'll try the MKIII first and see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back