May 26, 2009 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

alexandersv

New Head-Fier
My current setup is the following:
Fubar II
RA1
SR325is
k701smile.gif

I was thinking on getting a tube amp ($200 - $250) and found some good reviews about the Little Dot MKIII. I am looking for somebody that experienced both amps that can give me some advice in this thread.

I know what people say about the overpriced Grado amp, but, my concern is that judging by the price difference, the Grado amp is supposed to be better than the MK III.

Thanks.

May 26, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 6
I cannot speak of the 325i+RA1 combo, but I can comment excessively on the 325i (new, silver edition w/ bowls) with the Little Dot MKIII with Mullard M8100 tubes...

... but to keep this short: it's a wicked combination.

The bass is just perfect with this combination, offering me everything I've wanted in a headphone setup for a long time: punchy bass with plenty of extension into those lower frequencies, excellent mids (and Grado is known for their midrange-coloration, which I happen to love), and the elusive high frequency response & perceived speed to go with it. The bass and lower midrange are helped heaps by the LD MKIII + Mullards, no doubt about it. I've not even bothered to try some of my other tubes since plugging in the 325i's--it's just too good sounding as it is. Call it spikey, peaky, colored; I call it a damn good setup for the money.

This setup performs exquisitely with 1960's hardbop jazz (ex:BN), small-club jazz trios (ex:Bill Evans), 1950's/60's lounge (ex:Les Baxter), classic rock (ex:VH/LZ), pop (ex:U2/Garbage), indie (ex:Interpol/Pelican), prog-rock (ex
biggrin.gif
reamTheater), house (ex:Laurent Garnier), drum&bass (ex:LTJ Bukem/Marcus Intallex), tech-* (ex:Ben Sims/John Tejada), classical piano (ex
biggrin.gif
ebussy->Rubinstein).

On a side note, the 325i's improve a great deal from decent tube amplification. I recommend tubes with this beast, having demoed them on two separate SS setups prior to purchase.

Another thing to note that you should know about the LD MKIII is that every headphone I've plugged into it has sounded great. The Beyerdynamic DT880 2005 250ohm, Sennheiser HD580 (w/ 600 grills + hd650 cable), and Grado SR60's all sound fantastic and noticeably better plugged into it. Of all the headphones I own, the 325i's are currently my favorite, eking out the DT880 which was my preferred headphone in this setup prior. Anyways, the fact that the LD MKIII does so well with such a variety of headphones from different price ranges with widely varying impedances says quite a lot about the quality and versatility of the LD MKIII.

Hopefully more can comment with RA1 experience and maybe even LD MKIII & RA1 comparisons, but I think that might be a bit difficult to unearth.

May 26, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 6
I own both an RA-1 and LIttle Dot MK III that I use with my Grado RS-1s. I bought the LIttle Dot first, and was quite happy with it. But when I first auditioned the RS-1s, it was with the RA-1, and well, my memory of that sound was pretty fond. When an RA-1 came around used for cheap, I picked it up too.

After living with both for several months now, I'd honestly say I prefer the Little Dot with my Grados. It's just smoother and less fatiguing. The RA-1 sparkles, and has a nice extension but the I really do prefer the tube sound with Grado phones.

My amp experimenting actually started with searching for a satisfying sound with my Sennheiser 650s. I didn't like the Little Dot with those so much. It was okay, once I upgraded the output tubes and switched to Mullard 8100s, but it just sounded dull overall. I picked up a CIaudio VHP-1 and this really blew the Little Dot away in concert with the 650s. It does nothing worthwhile with the Grados though. I prefer the RA-1 or Little Dot for Grados. For the Sennheisers, so far, I prefer solid state.

That's just my experience, your mileage may vary.

May 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 6
From my experience when comparing a tube amp and solid state amp in approximate the $500 range, it really boils down to your preference. If you like tubes, then the Little Dot. If you like solid state, then the Grado amp will be your cup of tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back