Little Dot MKIII - Transformer Issue?
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Megorix

New Head-Fier
So, I purchased a Little Dot MKIII about 3 months ago from some guy on Kijiji (essentially a Canadian Craigslist).

The Amp was working great, until the other day when I turned it on and noticed a loud buzz and smell from the transformer. I ruled out DC offset, and believe that it could be the transformer itself. I am too nervous to leave it on for more than a few minutes, but it appears my tubes are not getting as much power as they did before either.

Does anyone have experience with their LD transformer failing? Do I have options, or am I out of luck?

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you found a solution to this problem, or are you experiencing the same issue? I'm afraid I'm not too savvy either, but am curious whether the noise is coming from the unit itself or through the headphones/speakers.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Have either of you had your MKIII case open? Those transformer wires are REAL easy to pick/break when opening the case and pulling out the board.

I ended up lengthening and re-routing mine on the exterior, thru a new hole in the rear/end cover.

-Mark in St. Louis

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 4
That's an interesting solution. I myself am having a humming issue which I haven't been able to eliminate with a cheater plug or a ground loop isolator. I have some new tubes on the way just in case, but am wondering if what I'm hearing is transformer noise. My next step would have been to open the case and take the board out to check for obvious signs of breakage or deterioration, but I haven't been able to find instructions on how to do so safely. I've already managed to tear an RCA output wire away from its soldering when I opened the rear panel to have a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back