Little-Dot MKIII or MKIVSE?
Aug 18, 2008 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Marshallrocks

New Head-Fier
Hi,

This is my very first post!

I'm ready to order a Little-Dot tube amp, and I'm nearly decided for the LD MKIVSE...
tongue_smile.gif

However, even though I know the technical differences between the two, I would like to know if (Once you have tuberolled the MKIII and put the exact same tubes as the MKIVSE) Sound quality is at least the same and even better on the MKIVSE...

My sources are mostly CDs with high-end DVD players from Sony and Denon with audiophile parts. I'll buy a turntable too, and I don't listen to MP3. I have a Technics amp, and the LD will be sometimes used as a preamp too.

Even though the MKIVSE is said outperforming the MKIII, Reports often imply the MKIII sounds fantastic, even with the stock tubes, and the MKIVSE is mostly praised for its build quality and power. I have the feeling people are more thrilled by the MKIII sound, maybe because of its little price? Maybe great sound is more taken for granted with the MKIVSE being a high-end amp?

So please I would like to have feedback from those who own both the MKIII and MKIVSE!
happy_face1.gif

Thank you!!

Aug 18, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 17
Theres a big difference between the MK III and MK IVSE's power tubes. The SE uses the much better 6H30P-I gold pins while the MKIII uses 6N6Por 6N6P-I's.

The SE IMO is worth the extra money although you can run 6H30P-I's in the MK III by swapping the stock grid resistor for each power tube from 64 ohm (thereabouts I think) to 120 ohm (1 watt 5% or less tolerance).

The SE's circuit design is far more refined than the MK III's as the specs show with the added benefit of upgrading the 2.2uf (again I'm guessing at the actual value here from memory) Solens to something more exotic...

Either amp is good choice.....

Hope that helps.
normal_smile .gif

Peete.

Aug 18, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 17
I have the Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones (please don't shoot me!) and I recently bought the MDR-V6 (the studio monitor reference since 1985)

I was always pleased by Sony, and the MDR-V6 is known for his neutral sound.

Aug 19, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 17
I think the answer to your question depends a lot on what your attitude towards tube rolling is. If you're the type of person who doesn't want the hassle of dealing with tube rolling then I think the superior stock tubes along with the better components in the MkIVse is the way to go, on the other hand, if you think you'll enjoy experimenting with tube rolling the amp and tailoring the tone of the amp to your exact preference then I think it's a good idea to buy a MkIII and then use the difference to buy three or four pairs of tubes. In many ways tubes are like headphones, the tubes you prefer to listen to classical music with will be different from the tubes you use to listen to rock and roll so it's a good idea to keep a few different pairs of quality tubes handy when you listen to different types of music.

By the way, the stock GE tubes on the MkIII are just ok sounding in my experience and you will benefit a lot from tube rolling the MkIII if you go that route.

- DoA

Aug 19, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And MKIV vs MKIVSE? I'm allready killing all of my budget with the MKIV.

Kill it some more by saving another 100 for the SE...it's worth it over the regular IV model.

Peete.

Aug 20, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 17
OK, thank you very much, I'll go for the MKIVSE!
o2smile.gif

Of course, I'm interested in tube rolling, but not at once. I'll buy other tubes later, but I prefer getting a stock high-end product for great music at first and only then, experimenting.

By the way, since I listen most Rock'N'Roll, (all styles of Rock) I wonder what tubes are the most suited for Rock?

Sep 10, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 17
So I received the MKIVSE in the early days of September
biggrin.gif

First I must say that David offers really a serious, great, and fast service. He replies every question!

At first I was stunned by the sound, even right out of the box (well, after a very few minutes of break-in): warm, natural, 3D, lively, Awesome bass...

I managed to break-in the beast, and, whereas at first I played the volume between 6 to 20 with great sound, I stupidly cranked up up to 30, 40 and even 50 (not with headphones on with that last one, except for one or two CDs that were not loud mastered, and not for long). I was used to Marshall amps and I thought the tubes could be driven harder.

However, David had told me to NOT break-in at a volume much louder than normal listening. But what is normal listening did I say to myself? Since this amp can be used as a pre-amp (why not in a club?) I said 50 was still safe.

How I was wrong! Since then, the amp has just lost "the sound". It is plain sounding just like your micro-integrated-Hifi that you bought in the supermarket. No more bass and musicality. Besides, I hear a little hum when the amp is on.
angry_face.gif

I'm very angry at myself, and David told me to use an electronic cleaner on the contact pins of the tubes. I must order it soon. I even went to ship it back but EMS France charged me $336!!!!!!! After one re-thinking day, since the package didn't have an invoice and it was blocked, I took back my amp home and I will be refunded...

But I had noticed something strange and now I wonder if it doesn't affect the sound: one of the little front tubes (the pre-amp ones) seems to be broken. Well in fact, it is just a little shattered, not really broken. When the amp is on, you can see the light in between the little shattered space. Maybe that's why "the sound" isn't there anymore?

You couldn't tell it is wrong though, because it works, and this is no bad sound, but it is in no way the same as before, and just plain, without any "life". In the early minutes, it was well above my otherwise great Technics Mosfet amp. Now it is below.

Could it be "the resistor problem"? (The resistor is still alive though, since there is sound)

Could it be this seemingly broken tube?

Or just oxydation on the contacts?

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 17
^Buy a new pair of tubes to test it out. You should be able to find them on Ebay for real cheap or you can ask David to ship you a pair on the house.

There is no way I would turn my amp on with a broken tube and if I were you I wouldn't turn that amp on again until you have some replacement tubes in it..

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Buy a new pair of tubes to test it out. You should be able to find them on Ebay for real cheap or you can ask David to ship you a pair on the house.

There is no way I would turn my amp on with a broken tube and if I were you I wouldn't turn that amp on again until you have some replacement tubes in it..

Huh? You mean I risk damaging more?

Anyway, do you think having cranked it up a little too much may have broken the tube? (and not broken in!)

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 17
Yeah, I agree switch the tubes out... and DON'T turn it on until then. Don't get anything too expensive just some replacements to see if that remedies the problem. Davids a nice guy, like ciphercomplete said you could try asking him for some replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back