Little dot MKIII dead left channel
Apr 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cerberi

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

Just over a month ago I got a new MKIII from an ebay seller.

From the start I had issues with it, first there was a noticeable hum which I resolved by getting better RCA cables.

Next up I started getting horrible crackling/static/hiss from the left channel, which would go away after a few taps on the front panel. Unfortunately it kept coming back.

The amp also responded with a crackling thud each time I put something down on my desk heavier than a feather. (this I resolved by putting the amp on a styrofoam bed.

About a week ago I powered on the amp and the left channel was gone 
color]

I immediately switched the tubes (both driver and power) (with Sylvania Gold brand driver tubes), but the issue remained on the left channel.

I've since been in contact with David, but due to having bought it from a 'gray market' dealer, he could not provide any support.

If any of you guys have any suggestions on how to go about determining what the cause of issue could be, I'd greatly appreciate it.

For reference, I've already followed all the troubleshooting steps in the stickied thread, except for replacing/reseating the fuse, as I've been unable to locate it.

I've also tried all gain settings and the issue remains unchanged.

I'm using the MKIII with a LD DAC I, I've already isolated the issue to the MK III, so the DAC I is thankfully fine.

Thanks in advance guys

This is mostly a copy of the post I made on the little dot forums, which has unfortunately been silent since I've posted there.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 4
Take it to a tube tech?

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Open it up and see if anything came loose or burned. The real question is whether or not you got a real Little Dot amplifier or a clone with different internals. Otherwise, a tube technician may be able to help. Or, try a real Little Dot direct from David. Have you been in contact with your dealer? Maybe they'll take it back.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies guys! I've heard back from David and subsequently replaced the fuse with the provided spare fuse.

Unfortunately the issue remains unchanged.

I've begun tracking down tube techs in my area, next step would be to take it to one of them for closer inspection.

I'll update the thread as the repair progresses :)

Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back