Little Dot MKIII and Extra Tubes or MKIV
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering getting one of the little dots. For the price of a MKIV I can get a MKIII and some extra tubes. Should I go that route or stick with just the MKIV. Or maybe something else in that price range?

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #2 of 5
The LD MkIII with some money spent on tubes is a great idea and a lot of fun, and, more importantly, allows you to slightly tweak the sound of the amp for your headphone of choice. I vote LD MkIII and two or three sets of good, well-known tubes:
-- Mullard M8100 (can be expensive, but legendary)
-- Russian rockets (cheap, but great!)
-- some other pair (or pairs) for fun

Dec 17, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 5
I second that - go for the LD MK III and the tubes. I have had my LD MK III for about a week and am lovin' it - and look forward to tuberolling once amp is broken in. Have fon with the III and tubes.
popcorn.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 5
Definitely the MkIII with tubes. One of the major advantage for getting a tube amp in the first place is the ability tube amps afford you to customize the sound to your preference, a tube that sounds good with rock music may not be good with chamber music, so it's definitely a good idea to leave room in your budget to roll tubes so that you get the most out of the amp.

- DoA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back