Little Dot MK3 vs Dark Voice 336i stock?
Dec 6, 2007 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Seeing as there is no love for the lunch box, decided that the two biggest contenders for my new amp to drive my AKG 701s are:

Little Dot MK3 - 250 Shipped

Dark Voice 336i - 270 Shipped

Budget is around 300 USD. Here are some things that are required in this purchase:

Stereo Cables - 36 from BJ for 5ft

Digital Coax Cable - 15 for 5ft from BJ

As you can see, I save more by going with the LDmk3, which in turn leaves me a little more for new tubes. With the DV, I doubt I would have enough to tube roll.

Anyway, my question is: Which one has a better set of stock tubes? And how variable of a sound can I make tube rolling the LD MK3?

As always, any advice is always appreciated.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 11
There's been a few threads on this in the last little while did you try searching?

Popular opnion is that 336i is better do to potential in tube rolling. But do some more reading and decide for yourself.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by classic_rock_69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's been a few threads on this in the last little while did you try searching?

Yes, but most of the people recommend the DV for it's tube rolling capabilities, I'm wondering which one is best at stock, as I don't have a lot of money to tube roll (Specally if I get the DV).

Another thing is that the amp needs to be a good all-arounder, as I am going to be using it for more than just music.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 11
All I will say is that if you decide on the DV, I can whole-heartedly recommend jasmine_chine as an ebay seller. Send him/her an email first, if you want the best deal possible. I got mine in four days from Shanghai to Dallas. You will need a PayPal account. Since I'm chiming in, I might as well also add, don't blow off the tube rolling aspect just because its something you don't plan on doing right away. The potential will always be there. It can be 'fun', 'cheap' and 'entertaining' (or not), depending on how you play it. Even though I'm 'happy' with mine and the current tube compliment (RCA 6AS7 rear/Sylvania 6SN7 front) I ordered another rear tube today (Raytheon 6080WA), just out of curiosity. If it doesn't perform, I'm out 10 bucks but I spend more than that on beer, most days, so no biggie...

EDIT: Whaddya mean, 'more than just music' ???

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whaddya mean, 'more than just music' ???

Movies and video games.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 11
Movies in 2-channel stereo (vice DD/DTS) shouldn't be a problem. Dunno about games, not into that, but my guess is the amp/can combo will most revealing while delivering music. Gamers may know otherwise...

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 11
FYI...The DV 336i just went up in price (over the last two days). Gut feeling is that either demand or limited future availability are to blame. Act fast! Jasmine is very friendly and patient. Mine is in the mail now. OHH THE WAITING!

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo6Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I will say is that if you decide on the DV, I can whole-heartedly recommend jasmine_chine as an ebay seller. Send him/her an email first, if you want the best deal possible. I got mine in four days from Shanghai to Dallas. You will need a PayPal account. Since I'm chiming in, I might as well also add, don't blow off the tube rolling aspect just because its something you don't plan on doing right away. The potential will always be there. It can be 'fun', 'cheap' and 'entertaining' (or not), depending on how you play it. Even though I'm 'happy' with mine and the current tube compliment (RCA 6AS7 rear/Sylvania 6SN7 front) I ordered another rear tube today (Raytheon 6080WA), just out of curiosity. If it doesn't perform, I'm out 10 bucks but I spend more than that on beer, most days, so no biggie...

EDIT: Whaddya mean, 'more than just music' ???

Ya, I recommend jasmine_chine as ebay seller too... Answer the question patiently and good customer support. My on/off switch was broken, he give me couple option and I decided to ask him send me the replacement switch and I will replace myself..AAA seller.

Dec 6, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 11
You can't go wrong with David either (the guy who sells the LD on ebay). He's given me some of the best service ever. He's extremely quick to reply and very helpful.

As for the comparison, you probably can't go wrong with either one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back