Little Dot MK1+ Gold or XM5
Jul 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

talan7

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm this close to buying an amp and have shopped around quite a bit. This will be my first real amp as I only have an E5 now. I've been debating whether to get something really nice but not too expensive and then maybe moving up later on or just to get 1 big all-in-one solution that would grow with me.

I listen to almost everything except Country and a lot of rap.
Lots of Alternative, all forms of Electronica, New Age, Classical, Jazz (all forms), Soundtracks, R&B etc.

I currently have
Sennheiser IE7 for my IEM

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 for my open headphones

and just purchased a pair of Denon AH-D2000 as my closed, was looking for the Shure 840 but heard the Denon and bought them. I will probably get the Shure as I can get them for $159

I also plan on purchasing a high impedance headphone, something under 300 ohms though. Suggestions?

The Practical Devices XM5 is a lot more money, is it worth the price over the Little Dot. It has all the features I could ever use so I'm thinking buy this and that's it. I was looking at the C&C XO but the pics on Audiophilechinas website didn't match the original pics on HeadB site and didn't know if it was real. Any other recommends would be fine also, under $250. The XM5 is a stretch.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by talan7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm this close to buying an amp and have shopped around quite a bit. This will be my first real amp as I only have an E5 now. I've been debating whether to get something really nice but not too expensive and then maybe moving up later on or just to get 1 big all-in-one solution that would grow with me.

I listen to almost everything except Country and a lot of rap.
Lots of Alternative, all forms of Electronica, New Age, Classical, Jazz (all forms), Soundtracks, R&B etc.

I currently have
Sennheiser IE7 for my IEM

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 for my open headphones

and just purchased a pair of Denon AH-D2000 as my closed, was looking for the Shure 840 but heard the Denon and bought them. I will probably get the Shure as I can get them for $159

I also plan on purchasing a high impedance headphone, something under 300 ohms though. Suggestions?

The Practical Devices XM5 is a lot more money, is it worth the price over the Little Dot. It has all the features I could ever use so I'm thinking buy this and that's it. I was looking at the C&C XO but the pics on Audiophilechinas website didn't match the original pics on HeadB site and didn't know if it was real. Any other recommends would be fine also, under $250. The XM5 is a stretch.

While I have absolutely nothing against Little Dot (Owning one of their tube amps), I have to say that the XM5 does offer a lot more options for you. Not only do you get a DAC (useful for listening to digital sources like the spidf from a laptop), but you have the bass/treble/gain boost options, and a 75ohm impedance reduction switch for listening with IEMs. Lastly, you can change (roll) the opamps to find the best sound to suit you. I understand it's a strech, but the XM5 could feasably suit all your needs for some time to come.

Just my 2 cents...

-HK sends

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 14
Basically what I was thinking. If I get the XM5 I have to get black (at an even additional charge) and the charger. Nothing else with the XM5s options at a lower price I guess.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Basically what I was thinking. If I get the XM5 I have to get black (at an even additional charge) and the charger. Nothing else with the XM5s options at a lower price I guess.

Check with James at Practical Decices. You may be able to wait on the lithium battery/charger (I know you could get it later with the XM4...I have one of those too). As far as color, I picked black with my XM5 as well.

There is a fairly long XM5 thread in the forum. A lot of people are very happy with the amp.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to jump in on someone elses thread but you can't charge the xm5 through usb can you.

You can only charge with the AC adapter, USB is for the DAC only.

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I'm unfamiliar with a DAC, I'm assuming it could be used portably. Could I do line out from my ipod to usb of XM5 as portable?

A "DAC" (Digital-to-Analog Converter), takes the actual ones and zeros output by S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format) or digital output from Computers and Digital Sources and converts it to an analog signal (i.e. the music we listen to). Digital sources use a variety of connectors such as Toslink (fiber optic), coaxial (RCA connectors), or even 1/8" miniplugs (as on some soundcards). The USB on a Mac or PC acts as a digital output in that the data bypasses the soundcard and is fed via the plug and cable. However, the DAC has to recognize the data format for sound and the computer has to recognize the DAC as an external sound processor.

If a portable audio device has a true digital out, then yes, a DAC with a compatible plug could process it (the iBasso D10 and older iRiver players with optical out are a perfect example). "Line out" jacks on portable players usually only output an analog signal that hasn't gone through any special processing in the player. These are considered the best outputs for Headphone Amps. However, the signal is already converted and can't be used by the DAC.

The problem with the iPod USB port (as well as the USB ports on other media players), is that neither the iPod nor the DAC can recognize each other as audio processing equipment. The USB port on a media player has limited functionality and can only be seen by a computer as an external storage device or a media player to be synched with software on the computer. Unfortunately, while being able to transfer digital data, the media player doesn't output the data in a format that the DAC can process. Even playing music with an iPod through the Mac/PC using USB, it takes the software (i.e. iTunes) on the computer to recognize the data format the iPod is putting out.

Is there any chance that DACs could be configured to accept a media player's USB output in the future? I believe so. I just don't know whether it would require additional hardware/software on the part of the media player manufacturer or the DAC maker.

I hope this helps. If anyone sees any erroneous info, please give a shout. I tried to be as accurate as possible.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S. - I use my XM5 DAC with my laptop.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I'm unfamiliar with a DAC, I'm assuming it could be used portably. Could I do line out from my ipod to usb of XM5 as portable?

The DAC function would be for use by your PC/desktop instead of the computer's built-in soundcard. You would use the ipod line out to the XM-5's line in..the same jack that you would use to connect the ipod's earphone out.

I've had my XM-5 for a year now. Like you, I had a "starter" headamp..a Microshar107B in my case. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and am starting to roll different opamps with it.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for all the help HK_Sends and Harvey/ GA, my X5 just arrived today at my job. It's smaller than I expected. I was so excited that I broke out my Denon AH-D2000s and hooked her up for a listen in my cube just for a minute as I don't like wearing my full size cans at work. I've had 2 pairs of headphones stolen off my desk.

Question, my Sennheiser IE7 are 16 ohm. The X5 states it's good for phones 24 ohms and up. Would it work or would it be too much for the IE7s? Can't wait to get home.

Just picked up a used ipod for imodding. My portable system will soon be complete, hah, hah, hah!

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Thanks for all the help HK_Sends and Harvey/ GA, my X5 just arrived today at my job. It's smaller than I expected. I was so excited that I broke out my Denon AH-D2000s and hooked her up for a listen in my cube just for a minute as I don't like wearing my full size cans at work. I've had 2 pairs of headphones stolen off my desk.

Question, my Sennheiser IE7 are 16 ohm. The X5 states it's good for phones 24 ohms and up. Would it work or would it be too much for the IE7s? Can't wait to get home.

Just picked up a used ipod for imodding. My portable system will soon be complete, hah, hah, hah!

I'm not sure about the IE7, but I would think that as long as you enable the 75ohm attenuation button (last big button on the right), and start with the volume all the way down, you should be able to use them. Just adjust the volume to a comfortable listening level. I use the XM5 with my Senn IE8s and it works just fine (don't need bass boost though....
biggrin.gif
)

-HK sends

Users who are viewing this thread

Back