Little Dot Mk III technical questions
May 30, 2008 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

systemerror909

Head-Fier
I've been reading a bit more about amplifiers and had a few questions relating the to the Little Dot Mk III I've now owned for the past 8 months.

1. I've heard the design of this amp (and the Mk IV) is Single Ended Push Pull. Does that mean that the Driver tubes run in class A and the Power tubes run in class B or A/B? Looking at the tubes in the amp it appears that the power tubes have two filaments, but the driver tubes only have one filament. A tube amp running class B needs two filaments (or two single filament tubes) to run, because the push/pull design needs one negative, one positive correct?

2. I've come across a list of benefits/negatives in Robert Harley's book the complete guide to high end audio. One of the points he mentions is that amps regularly need to have the bias adjusted in order to perform optimally. I haven't seen anything about biasing in the little dot manual. Is this an issue only for tube amps with larger power outputs, or something I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Ryan

May 30, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 7
x3

May 30, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Email David at LD, or head to the LD forum and ask directly. I'm sure either Sword or David would be happy to answer these questions. I believe it's a fixed bias design, although I could be wrong.

Peete

May 31, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 7
I emailed David, here is his reply:

Hello Ryan,

Great to hear from you!

It looks like you've been doing some great research. Regarding your inquiry, the Little Dots in question run in Class-A and you don't have to worry about manually biasing as all Little Dots are self-biasing. I hope this helps!

Best regards,
David

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Good info....thanks for checking into that.

David & Sword are always great about responding back with answers to questions....& with customer service, in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back