Little dot mk III interference shielding
Oct 9, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed noise when I share a dual outlet, yes, but it depends on ther way the outlet is constructed, I think. They share the same incoming AC, but the outlets should be separate from each other. I had a dedicated line installed to our home office for the PC from the electrical panel, and it's a quad outlet. I have the UPS for the PC plugged into one of the outlets, and on the other pair I have my audio equipment's power conditioner plugged in. Everything in my audio chain is powered from the Furman conditioner, and this way I've got no line noise or interference. Going old skool (lol) I've shared outlets with a computer and audio equipment in the past, and yes, I've definitely heard noise like easy's mentioned. Before I had any power conditioning or fancy power lines run, switching to separate outlets pretty much took care of the problem. I still had noise if I had all audio on one outlet and all PC on the other in a dual outlet, like you mentioned, but the wiring and electrical stuff in genereal at that apartment was pretty old and cheap, so I'm not suprised.

This line of thinking is exactly what I do for all my audio gear.

I'll add to that by explaining what digital devices and computer power supplies inject back into the AC stream. All kinds of switching noise makes it way back into the AC supply from most comp PSU units regardless of quality...one of the reasons anyone should separate audio gear from comp gear powered by the same outlet. A way around that is a line conditioner if your stuck for outlets and have to share. Digital gear is always separated on line conditioners because of noise they inject back into the source line...similar to the comp PSU although nowhere near as bad.

Look for an outlet that is not on the same circuit as the comp outlet. A really easy way to figure that out is shutting off breakers and seeing which ones are on and which ones aren't in the room in question. Another location issue is that outlet chain having heavy appliances on the line (washing machine, dishwasher, fridge) . Avoid those at all costs.......As GM has done I have had to as well...install dedicated lines for my audio gear, 3 x 20 amp lines with dual duplex outlet for each line. I did it all myself using 10/2 Romex with ACME heavy duty outlets and 30 Amp Siemens breakers. Made a big difference with my set up. I still run line conditioners on these......another cool product is PS Audio quiet lines modules, they have a new version out.

Anyway power and how its used has an impact on audio quality, things that don't seem to have any impact actually do....with a little careful planning most of this can be corrected without resorting to spending any money ...

Peete.

Oct 9, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #19 of 21
It's crazy, some of the stuff you hear...I thought I had serious problems with my DAC, because I noticed when my amp and DAC were on, there was this weird digital hashy staticky noise...I freaked out and wrote Ori, asking him what it could be...I figured out when the CDP the DAC was attached to was on, the noise stopped. Ori's guess (and it makes perfect sense) is that it's most likely the clock in the DAC - since it doesn't have a signal, it's just oscillating away, trying to lock onto any ol' signal it can find.

Back to electrical noise - Peete's right - digitla injects a lot of noise. Best solution, if you have no alternative and have to get a power conditioner, is definitely finding one that has separate analog and digital sections. I went through a few cheap ones before I discovered that they don't ALWAYS separate them, so just make sure. Most of your halfway decent Monster or Belkin AV ones do this, and they tell you on the package. Don't go for a PC type that has battery backup - you don't want your audio stuff on that...squashes your dynamics and soundstage. You'll want one specifically designed for audio or home theater applications.

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 21
Finally i found some time to rearrange my power cables. Connecting amp to the separate power outlet reduced the interference noises to not audible (even with volume knob at 100). As opposed to changing the tubes to military grade Mullards - it made no difference in noises (but improved the sound).

Thanks for help!
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #21 of 21
Sweet! Free improvements are the best kind of all! Glad the advice was useful to you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back